Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this problem with my '90 Mustang GT. I was driving down the street on Saturday and it just died on me and didn't want to start until it was cold. It did it again today after driving for an hour. Can someone tell me what the problem could possibly be? It's not the fuel pump, because I changed that a couple of months ago and I changed the smog pump a few weeks ago. I'm thinking it's the Mass Air-Flow Sensor. Please help me on this. Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this problem with my '90 Mustang GT. I was driving down the street on Saturday and it just died on me and didn't want to start until it was cold. It did it again today after driving for an hour. Can someone tell me what the problem could possibly be? It's not the fuel pump, because I changed that a couple of months ago and I changed the smog pump a few weeks ago. I'm thinking it's the Mass Air-Flow Sensor. Please help me on this. Thank you
Mine did the same thing yesterday (1992 Mustang GT)! I noticed it was running rough the past few days and then it just shut off on the highway. I had to get it towed to my house. It did start after it cooled, but only ran for like 1 minute, then died again. I have good wires and plugs and just changed the cap and rotor, but no cure. I noticed the inside of my MSD distributor looked like hell....Rusted and Gunky, so my money is on that being the problem....It was also spitting out a KOEO CODE #18.....:?::?::?:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you think that it could be my ECM? (Electronic Control Module) Mine runs a little longer. I'll drive it home tonight and look at it tomorrow. How did you find out the code? Thank you. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If you have an MSD box that is the problem send it to them they will fix it for $70. If you dont then your dizzy TFI module is bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you can make it to an auto parts store they should help you pull the codes. While your there, have them test the TFI module, they're known for overheating and causing the problem that you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you think that it could be my ECM? (Electronic Control Module) Mine runs a little longer. I'll drive it home tonight and look at it tomorrow. How did you find out the code? Thank you. :bigthumbsup
No, the computer is usually faultless unless you bend some prongs...The other guys that have commented are thinking like me. I have a MDS 6al box that I have not fixed yet, but I took it off the car and am running stock ignition with a MSD Blaster coil and a MSD distributer. The MSD box turned to junk and was causing me to stall at highway speeds too, but I never shipped it to get fixed and have been running the stock ignition with no problems for the past 4-years. It sucks when you pay big $'s for after market parts that turn out to be junk!! I always heard a rumor that MSD had a few years of putting out crap...Looks like the rumor is no more:winks I know it has to be the distributer....leaning now towards the TFI which is on the front left side of it. Do you guys think it is better to swap out the whole distributer back to stock or just switch the TFI portion of it:?::?::?:

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the codes, I used a Sunpro code scanner. I think it costs like $35 or $40 at Schucks/O'Reilly and comes with an instruction booklet which lists all the codes. I bought it like 10-years ago though...Man I'm getting old!:laugh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am going to take it to Autozone tomorrow and have them test the TFI module before I buy a new one. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TFI Module (Electronic Control Module)

I haven't swapped the part out yet. My car is down now and sitting in the parking lot of my apartment building. I went to Schucks?O'Reilly's last night and bought a new module last night. I am going to install it this weekend and I will let you know the outcome. I am also hoping that it isn't my coil. :laughlitt

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Coould also be the PIP sensor replace both while your at the machine shop.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1990 5.0L running but poorly.

After replacing the TFI module, the vehicle still died after 2 minutes of run time. I took it to Autozone and ran into some 5.0 guru's. I unplugged the MAF sensor and it stayed running, but poorly. If I plug it back in, it dies out. So they told me it could be the MAF or the TPS. I'm not sure with this thing anymore. I believe it is a fuel delivery problem, but I don't know where the problem is. I am looking for any and all help with this matter. Is there an expert out there? What is a PIP Sensor?:helpsmilie:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts