Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have had my 1990 LX 5.0 for about three months. The only problem I have encountered is a chattering of the speedo cable. I have been told various things, but thought I would ask here for suggestions. One has told me I would have to replace the speedometer. One has told me I might have to replace the speedo cable. One has said for me to begin by taking the cable loose at the manual transmission and lubricate the gear and cable, to see if it stops the chatter. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did it take to resolve it for you?:?:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The quickest and easiest would be to either use graphite on the old existing speedo cable or buy a new speedo cable to replace the old cable.
Next you could try replacing the speedo gear and the last thing would be to change out the actual speedo.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Chatter if speedo is working correctyl is an un lubed cable. Probably just time to replace it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after getting the car up on a lift, and inspecting the cable, I found a place where the cover of the cable was broken open and the grease had leaked out and was clustered around the cable.
a new cable is in order and has been ordered.

thanks for your imput

1 - 4 of 4 Posts