Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just did my Adjustable clutch cable/quadrant in my vert...what a PITA...man it was hard. Well anyways got that out of the way. Now the problem is I'm still having a lil bit of problems getting into gears, like if I want to go into first from a stop I usually have to go third first and it makes it easier, same thing for reverse I usually put it in 5th. That and my other problem is sometimes in second and all the time in third I hear this winding sound coming from the transmission. My friend said that it could be a bearing not getting enough oil. When i change my shifter couple weeks ago the fluid seemed fairly new, now my cousin said it was ATF that was in there but that manual transmissions need thicker fluid. I've looked around and everyone says that ATF is what the T-5 should use. So I'm not sure what the problem is. I usually try to stay out of third as much as possible until I get some ideas of what it could be. Ohh and about the clutch cable, where is the clutch pedal supposed to sit at? :headscratch:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
So i just did my Adjustable clutch cable/quadrant in my vert...what a PITA...man it was hard. Well anyways got that out of the way. Now the problem is I'm still having a lil bit of problems getting into gears, like if I want to go into first from a stop I usually have to go third first and it makes it easier, same thing for reverse I usually put it in 5th. That and my other problem is sometimes in second and all the time in third I hear this winding sound coming from the transmission. My friend said that it could be a bearing not getting enough oil. When i change my shifter couple weeks ago the fluid seemed fairly new, now my cousin said it was ATF that was in there but that manual transmissions need thicker fluid. I've looked around and everyone says that ATF is what the T-5 should use. So I'm not sure what the problem is. I usually try to stay out of third as much as possible until I get some ideas of what it could be. Ohh and about the clutch cable, where is the clutch pedal supposed to sit at? :headscratch:

Did you have this issue before the cable/quadrant swap?

If not, then you don't have the clutch adjusted properly. General rule of thumb is you need between 1/8" and 1/4" gap between the face of the throw out bearing and the fingers of the pressure plate with the clutch pedal up at the rest position. You can check it by looking up thru the clutch fork hole opening in the drivers side of the bell.
There is no set height at which to set the clutch pedal. It is based on personal preference. If you like the clutch to release as soon as you start to push the clutch pedal down (like I do), then set the gap to 1/8" (as I described above). If you like it to release further down in the stroke, set the gap to 1/4"

The whining you are describing...is it "grinding" or a true "whine as in gear whine" ?

The T5 uses ATF PERIOD. :bigthumbsup

" My friend said that it could be a bearing not getting enough oil".
Whoever told you this needs to not be given advice to anyone about cars. :nono: :hihi:
The throwout bearing is not oiled and the pilot bearing in the back of the crank is not oiled either. Ignore him.

If you had these problems beforehand, then it may be time for a tranny rebuild. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i had the problem with getting into gear before the cable swap. I'm going to try and adjust the TOB...is there a procedure for that? and yes is a "whinning" sounds...it gets louder as RPMs increase...Looks like a tranny rebuild is on the list now. Thanks for your help I work at summit so I'm sure we'll talk sometime :bigthumbsup. By the way...Do you guys have a kit to swap a t-56 into a fox body? I know I need a shorter driveshaft and some other stuff.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yeah i had the problem with getting into gear before the cable swap. I'm going to try and adjust the TOB...is there a procedure for that? and yes is a "whinning" sounds...it gets louder as RPMs increase...Looks like a tranny rebuild is on the list now. Thanks for your help I work at summit so I'm sure we'll talk sometime :bigthumbsup. By the way...Do you guys have a kit to swap a t-56 into a fox body? I know I need a shorter driveshaft and some other stuff.

Follow the instructions that came with your clutch cable/quadrant setup and adjust it so that you have a minimum of 1/8" to a maximum of 1/4" gap between the face of the bearing and the fingers of the pressure plate when the pedal is all the way up. do this by removing the clutch fork cover off the side of the bell housing and looking up inside the bell to see how much gap is between the bearing and fingers. The other method is to undo the cable from the fork first, move the clutch fork by hand until the bearing contacts the fingers and then measure the distance it traveled to hit the fingers. If it is more than 1/4", connect the cable back onto the fork and adjust the cable tighter a click or 2 to move the bearing closer to the fingers. repeat as necessary until you have the 1/8" to 1/4" gap.

If you had the whine before the swap then yes, a rebuild is in your future. The input shaft bearing and/or counter shaft bearing could be the cause of the whine or it could be the paddle marks on the gears if something is out of spec. There is no way to tell for sure without dropping the tranny and tearing it down.

Richard
Tech Support

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The tranny guy... ^^^

Wait, that sounded wrong. :hihi:

·
Registered
9 Posts
T5 issues.......again

Here is my problem....several wks ago I was driving my car and went to change gears and it was stuck in 4th. I made it home and it sat for a week or 2 than I tried it again and it worked fine. That is till I start driving it than it gets stuck again. I dont know what it could be. Could it be something major? or something binding inside tranny? Its a 93 GT with a T5......

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Here is my problem....several wks ago I was driving my car and went to change gears and it was stuck in 4th. I made it home and it sat for a week or 2 than I tried it again and it worked fine. That is till I start driving it than it gets stuck again. I dont know what it could be. Could it be something major? or something binding inside tranny? Its a 93 GT with a T5......

Give me more information.......:scratchchin

Does it just get stuck in the 4th gear gate and you can't get it out? Is it actually in 4th gear? What happens when you try and pull it out of 4th? Is there any unusual noises or grinding occurring?

Richard
Tech Support

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.