Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone I had another question will a 8.8 posi rear end from a 5.0 bolt on and drive good on a 1991 2.3l 5-speed. I heard that the 2.3 or its tranny wouldnt be enough power for the 8.8 rear? idk Any help would be great? thankx!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Pm it will fit perfectly and function flawlessly. The 4 cylinder engines normally have a taller first gear in the tranny. If the new axle has a high axle ratio like in the 2 numbers it wont work well in a v8 as well. Bottom line is what is the ratio of the axle in QUESTION. Peace Tom

Good question PM. Thanks:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think the only thing that has to be done to make the swap is to relocate the rear brake line. For some weird reason, the line for the 7.5 rear is on the opposite side of the line for the 8.8 cars. Other than that, it's a straight up swap.

Tom has a point with the rear gear ratio. The 5.0 8.8 had a bunch of different ratios. I'd think that anything higher (numerically lower) than 3.27 would be bad for a car with an overdrive transmission.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Must be getting old Bic C i totally forgot about the brake line. Keep an eye on me Brother. I may be going over the edge. You know senility.:grinroll::confused::happyhappHope the shoulder is coming back strong Peace My Brother

·
Registered
478 Posts
Memory ain't an age thing, Tom.

Mines always been bad.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
For some folks, swapping the center section is more difficult than swapping the entire rear end. Setting up a differential requires a little bit of knowledge, and a dial indicator among other things. In some cases, I've seen entire 8.8 trac-loc rears for the same price as a used 7.5 trac-loc diff on e-bay, let alone new. If you have the ability and resources to pull one out of a Bronco II, Aerostar, or Ranger and install it in your Mustang's axle, then you're dollars ahead, but you haven't really gained anything other than a limited slip differential, and maybe a better gear ratio depending on what you leave the junk yard with.

Moving to the 8.8 from the 7.5 may not grant a performance increase, but it shores up the foundation for future upgrades. It's stronger and the upgrade potential is greater than it's little brother.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
For some folks, swapping the center section is more difficult than swapping the entire rear end. Setting up a differential requires a little bit of knowledge, and a dial indicator among other things. In some cases, I've seen entire 8.8 trac-loc rears for the same price as a used 7.5 trac-loc diff on e-bay, let alone new. If you have the ability and resources to pull one out of a Bronco II, Aerostar, or Ranger and install it in your Mustang's axle, then you're dollars ahead, but you haven't really gained anything other than a limited slip differential, and maybe a better gear ratio depending on what you leave the junk yard with.

Moving to the 8.8 from the 7.5 may not grant a performance increase, but it shores up the foundation for future upgrades. It's stronger and the upgrade potential is greater than it's little brother.

Once again perfect!!! If you dont know how to set up the carrier swap it out and gain the strength of an 8.8.

Books you are a young fellow. The memory thing you experience is called YOUTH and being busy. Mine is from age and having to go to the bathroom 20 times a day. Well I cant complain the other alternative is not my cup of TEA!!!! Peace Tom

:im confused::im confused::im confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts

Perhaps true to a point, but the 7.5 is more than adequate to handle even a turbocharged 2.3L unless you are doing high power drag launches with slicks.

The only other thing I would say is that any used 8.8 you pull out of a junkyard would probably be best off if the differential was pulled and rebuilt. The clutches just don't last that long, and it will show up in spirited driving. So, regardless of what you do, you are probably pulling the differential in either axle if you want the best performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thnx to everyone who replied!...im goin to try it in a few weeks thnx for the help:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Keep us posted we may be able to give you some pointers. GOOD LUCK and BE CAREFUL. Peace Tom:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts