Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys just an update, I haven't been on in awhile I joined up with a car club we have our own forum too, but im looking for an answer from anywhere I can, we did the motor rebuild got it in running and its timed, now im having a shifting problem, upgraded to a 3k stall. It is fine in first, its not wanting to shift up at all, acts like it is stuck in first or something, not sure whats up... the fluid is full, im not sure if it is in the detent cable placement or what.. anyone with info?

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had that problem last year when putting mine on the road. My problem was the spool for 1-2 sticking and not shuttling over.

The TV cable was mentioned profusely, but it won't stop shifting, it'll change the shift points, but it's a very easy check to do.

You either have dirt in your VB, or your spool is scored. If it doesn't clear out (dirt), you'll have to take the valve body out, and try your 1-2 spool by hand. I had to emery cloth my spool until it slid easily. Checked your other valves also while you have it taken apart.

After this, the thing ran like a charm.

1994 Ford Crown Victoria Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net (don't mind the title, it's an AOD VB diagram)

One thing you could try is 1-d-1 to force the spool with extra pressure at higher RPMs. You'll hafta get your revs higher, but don't hammer it at 5500 rpm in case it doesn't shift.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Only suggestion I have is to hold rpms around 3k and have someone pull on the TV to a WOT position and try to free up anything inside the VB or trans that sticks. When I did my AOD rebuild I use vasoline to hold the check balls in place and had a similar problem to where the shifting was not taking place. So I put the rear of the car on jack stands, warmed up the car, ran the rpms close to 5k for about 5 minutes in OD with no luck. I then repeat the process with disconnected TV cable from the throttle body and manually pulled on and held it for 15-20 seconds at a time with RPMs hold at 3K, then cycled it about 10 times real fast before putting it back on to the throttle body. That did the trick for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had no clue about pressure on the tv... one of our club guys just mentioned that to me and I was like don't they build pressure themselves, I wasn't sure what he was talking about... I will try a few tricks but I kinda have to be careful being that I have a brand new rebuild im working with....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so I think it was starting to work shifting through the gear with the ass end up in the air, but now my starter is just spinning like its not wanting to engage with the flywheel... I know the old flywheel had some teeth broken off so I think that is whats going on cause the flywheel is brand new, im thinking the starter has broken teeth to not sure I have to get it off.. so I will keep you guys posted thanks for the help...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well at least you know what the problem is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts