Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 1991 Mustang LX that has a 1995 Bronco motor that has been Stroked & Bored out to a 396 C.I. It has Forged Probe connecting rods & Pistons, Forged Eagle Crank, Roush Heads, 1.7 Roller Rockers, F303 Camshaft, C&L cai & Mass air, Professional Products Typhoon intake and Throttle Body, 30 LB injectors, BBK adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator and mabe some other things I forgot. Oh and it supposedly has the 95 computer from the Bronco. The Problem is that under hard acceleration it starts to miss or stumble but only under hard acceleration if your driving normal it never dose it. We talked to a friend who teaches a Automotive class but he is more of a chevy guy so he didn't know much of the problem but he said it was most likely a ignition problem, I can't remember the name of it but it has to do with setting the timing but anyway he took that out and said take it for a test drive and while on the drive it seamed to stumble a lot less than when it was pluged in. then he also look up the Fuel Pressure for a 95 Bronco w/351W and said it was supposed to be around 35-45 and the car was set at 30 so we bumped it up to 40 and it still stumbles. Dose anybody has an idea what the problem could be???

R

·
0 Posts
its either timing or fuel starvation

what size fuel pump does the car have....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
That connecter you unplug to set the timing is the spout connecter (is that what your talking about) make sure you plug it back up when you get done setting the time, and you have to unplug it to set the time.

I am sure someone can help you with your problem but it does sound like a timing problem. Was you supposed to set your timing at a sertin degree with the cam? I would probably bump that fuel pressure up a little also. Wait did he have the computer flashed for all these mods? I am not 100% on the fuel injection but im sure you have to have the computer flashed and im sure you have to match computer to you intake, throttle body, exc.

I could be wrong on this but someone for sure will come to help....the old man takes a little while to get around lol :D

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Well what do you know he beat me to it lol:shocked:

How you doin Reggie?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i'm doing ok for for an old man.....:gringreen

how 'bout yourself....

btw you were right on point with the advice you gave.....
Im doin good for a young feller if I could find a decent job I got laid off.

Well I guess I do know a little that surprises the s*** out of me lol. But you know you asked what fuelpump he has and I didnt think about that...that could be his problem to not enough fuel when he gives it throttle.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Make sure the pump can flow enough for sure, but...

I would put the Mustang PCM back in and re-check the timing.

The 95 Electronics differ from the 91 a little. I'm sure if its tuned with a piggy-back chip, you might get it to work better, but the Mustang PCM will work out much better.

I would try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey my buudy posted this about my car.After i would get my computer flashed does anyone know if i have to the engine timed for the cam. if so does any know what the timing is for a f-303 cam. a 1995 351W is 10 degrees stock. Does stroking and boring it out make the timing different to.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
There's a lot of things that affect where the engine likes the timing set at.
I'm wondering about that computer, because that computer could be the problem. I would really get an A9L computer meant for the Mustang, the Bronco computer is a totally different animal. It's a speed density and would cause the air fuel ratio to be wrong when the engine is modified like it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i checked the computer and it is the mustang computer.I will have to find out if it is the A9L computer. would the cam have a set timing.it's a f-303 cam.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I would set the cam straight up at 0 for mechanical timing. Then just keep increasing initial timing until you get close to detonation, then back it off a degree or so. I'm running my 5.0L at 16 initial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i went out and checked the timing and its at 0 but a 95 bronco motor stock timing is 10 degrees and i will start their but if i need to advance the timing i will do so. stalkerstang what do you have done to your stang. Like what size of cam, intake, mass air size, bore, stroke, heads, valves. so i can get an idea of what i should time mine at.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Basically its a stock 302 bottom end, but with Performer heads (1.90/1.60), RPM II Intake, TFS stage 2 cam (.542/.563 224/232) 91 octane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
does any think that the cam could have something to do with it surging. i looked on summit for cam specs and if i would fit make application and it says it will only fit a 302W not a 351:headscratch:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.