Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slightly annoying ticking noise coming from eather my driver side header or inside the valve cover. It is most noticable at a cold startup and when accelerating. It seems to go away at a constant speed. The engine and body have 18000 original miles. I Know the original owner, i have verified the original miles and I was givin the car through trade. It has always been taken care of regular oil changes etc. The stang had been sitting out in a field for 3 years due to rear end damage, and before that used only on occation. It runs very smooth and has great response, and drives great but the tick is kind of driving me nuts. It sounds nothing like rodbearings. Its not loud but kind of like a sewing machine. My best guess is a exhaust leak but it is so hard to tell. I just cant see there being anything wrong with the valvetrain but maybe lifters? I dont know. "I'm a rotary guy" I would welcome help seing I'm new to the piston world. Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
dose it have after market headers ?if so could be bad gasket, big G :scratchchin

·
Registered
39 Posts
problems suck! :happyhapp if the tick sounds like a small chirp, it could be the throw out bearing. depress the clutch alittle to see if the noise goes way. that is what happened to me in my 88 gt. if not, a blown xhaust gastget makes alot of noise that is noticeable. hope this help!

·
Registered
547 Posts
probably some crap on your valves or rocker arms, try putting in some marvel mystery oil and running/driving the car for about a day or two before your next oil change also what oil are you running, too thin of an oil will also cause that problem you should be running ATLEAST 10W-30

·
Registered
547 Posts
why would the transmission matter i think you misunderstood

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i put 2 answers into 1 post "sorry kinda lazy 2nite" the tranny was for the guy that posted b4 you. he said it might b throwout bearing. but its an auto

·
Registered
1 Posts
if it's an exhaust leak, look where the primary tubes bolt up to the head. if you notice some black soot marks that kinda look like a firecracker went off between the two, it's an exhaust leak. Is the valvetraing stock, or did the previous owner put roller rockers on or change anything else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed the problem

I want to thankyou guys for all the help. The following day after this post the ticking got worse. I said screw it!!! I took the intake off and valve covers to see if I could find the problem. It was a lifter. Went and droped 40 bux on royal purple and some "valve medic" poured some of it down the pushrod holes and the rest into the crankcase with in 15 minutes the tick was completly gone. Highly recomend the stuff made the entire valvetrain smoother. I guess I'll see soon if that stuff caused any leaky seals and whatnot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.