Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 5.0 Mustang LX. The driver side window is acting really weird. It was working fine and then it stopped working right. It will lower and raise a little bit, but then, it starts making a grinding sound and it will not do anything. If I physically move the window a little bit with my hand, it will go back up or down. The window motor was replaced right before I bought it. It almost sounds like the teeth on the gear are not catching all the way but I cannot figure it out.

Also, the passenger side will not roll up or down with the motor. I have tested all of the switches, they are good. The motor is brand new and works. When I bought the car, the passenger side window would not work by the motor, that is why I replaced the motor...thinking it was bad. But even with the new motor, it still does not work.

Any help or ideas with diagnosing and fixing both problems??? Please help!!

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
take the driver motor out and look at the gear,take the plate off,inside you will see some chewed up plastic stuff,clean it out and go buy a repair kit,it is just 3 little peices,self explanatory when you see it all....the passenger side sounds like a bad connection....

·
Registered
59 Posts
My '91 LX had a p/w issue as well. Your description fit. Living in a condo, it's "against the rules" to work on a car so off to the corner garage I went. One gearset for the p/w from NAPA and the window worked fine.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Another vote for the window motor repair kit, sounds like the gears are the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Usually the gear is OK, there are 3 small torque pins that are normally chewed up and need replacing. You can buy these pretty cheap. I have got them off ebay before for as little as $4.00 a set. Raise the window and wedge it up so that it will not fall while reaching in to R&R the motor.

·
Banned
641 Posts
I have a 1991 5.0 Mustang LX. The driver side window is acting really weird. It was working fine and then it stopped working right. It will lower and raise a little bit, but then, it starts making a grinding sound and it will not do anything. If I physically move the window a little bit with my hand, it will go back up or down. The window motor was replaced right before I bought it. It almost sounds like the teeth on the gear are not catching all the way but I cannot figure it out.

Also, the passenger side will not roll up or down with the motor. I have tested all of the switches, they are good. The motor is brand new and works. When I bought the car, the passenger side window would not work by the motor, that is why I replaced the motor...thinking it was bad. But even with the new motor, it still does not work.

Any help or ideas with diagnosing and fixing both problems??? Please help!!
These Mustangs are known for problems with the power locks and power windows. I have had mine repaired a few times on same windows and switches. The power window replacement of switches and doors are easy if that's the problem. If you need a door actuator which is usually the problem with the power locks then it get more complicated. I have had constant problems with my power door locks on both doors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.