Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searced and saw a couple of similar posts, but none had answers. Not encouraging.

I've got a '91 LX 'vert that has a new top, new cables, partial new (used) top frame, new relays, new hydraulic cylinders and a new hose set. The only thing that hadn't been replaced in the past few months was the motor. It now appears to be dead. When I hit the top motor switch, the relays click, but nothing happens. This used to happen when the motor got hot, but this was from a cold start - first time in days I'd tried the top.

- It looks like I can replace the motor just from the trunk - has anyone done that? Do I need to pull the seats out, or is the trunk access enough?

- If the motor is dead, is the fluid in the motor still pressurized? Will it spray everywhere when I pull the hoses out?

- Where do I add the fluid?

Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Lots of convertible owners here, hopefully one of them will help you out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you asked where to add fluid, which probably means you haven't checked the level. Have you checked the fluid level? if not, maybe that's your problem :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If ur relay is clicking, good bet its your motor...take out the rear seat..its so much easier to get to the motor and work on it. From the back seat, ull see a rubber nipple on the left side of motor. This is where you fill it up. Be sure theres fluid in the motor b4 figuring the motor is shot. With the top all the way down(open) the fluid should be right to the nipple level...this is when its at its highest level. If you are looking for a good price of a motor, go to topmotorrepair.com.....any questions, pm me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I just had the cylinders and hose replaced, and the fluid was refilled at that time. I can see the fluid in the hoses, and I don't have a puddle in my garage (like last time), so I am pretty sure the fluid level is good. Before, it would go up and down, albeit slowly, when the fluid had almost all leaked out. I called a local shop and they have a motor on the way for only $229 (LRS and FMR both had it for $249), and they'll only charge one hour for the install since I've had a lot of work done there before. $55 for an hour is worth it for me to not learn the hard way if the hoses are pressurized even if the motor is dead.

The only other thing I think it can be is the relay switch receptacles - the other half that the relays plug into. At this point, those are the only other things that haven't been replaced.

How long does it take a properly working top top cycle up and down? Mine (when it was working) is taking a good 15 seconds. Is that about right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
How long does it take a properly working top top cycle up and down? Mine (when it was working) is taking a good 15 seconds. Is that about right?
That's how long it takes mine to go up/down, so I'd say that's right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem and none of that stuff worked for me. Got a new motor and everything. It is a complete mystery to me. I may just be a baff:shigrin:shigrinn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts