Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lock Hard to Turn

I have a 91 Mustang LX, the lock has always been hard to turn since I brought it three months ago. Its been getting worse since I got it. I can't unlock the driver side door if I locked it with the button. If I lock the car form the outside I could fight it to unlock but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix this. I was gonna change the locks but I heard this wouldn't do anything. Anyone know how to fix this.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You can try grahite lube in the lock. I have same issue on my truck. Do you have two keys to fit the lock? If you do do they both respond the same? You probably need to replace lock but if your key is worn you may need a lock smith.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Whether it would work to change the locks depends on what the problem is. The lock cylinder may be corroded, or damaged in some way which is what I would suspect. Trying getting some graphite in there to see if it improves.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If your power lock actuator and related parts are broken maybe it is making your lock hard to turn. You might have to remove the door panel and see if anything is binding inside of the door and making the lock hard to turn.

·
Registered
60 Posts
more then likely it's the actuator,the rubber boot on it falls apart and water gets in it and the rest is history-pricey item at the dealer,so i bought a whole kit from late model restoration.came with two actuators,two rivots,and all the pushpins for the doorpanels-69 bucks :shiny:

·
Registered
60 Posts
more then likely it's the actuator,the rubber boot on it falls apart and water gets in it and the rest is history-pricey item at the dealer,so i bought a whole kit from late model restoration.came with two actuators,two rivots,and all the pushpins for the doorpanels-69 bucks :shiny:

Doesn't anybody buy from ebay? You save up to 60% on stuff you can buy retail.

I bought a set of actuators with all the same parts for $30 including shipping. I've bought ba lot of small parts that I would have paid double elsewhere. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your responses it turned out to be the door lock actuator. It was hard to open because the actuator would not move with out being pushed by the motor. The ford tech told me this happens when water seeps past the rubber gasket and into the motor causing it to rust and hold the rod going to the locks. So I just took the actuator out of the door and am now triying to convert the door locks to manual. Got to find a pin that would pull up on the door lock. Also just so whoever knows YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DRILL THE HOLDER OUT OF THE DOOR. Its made to come out on its own by pulling down on the actuator. The ford tech said when they change the actuators in these cars they only change the holder in when its been cut or broken. But it was the actuator making the door lock hard to open. Just so everyone knows my symptoms were the door lock was hard to turn, I could not unlock the door with the handle, and some days the door lock would not move to unlock the door at all. Thanks again

- wheelman487
p51 nitemare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.