Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a lead under the steering column. It is red fluid which I believe it to be power steering fluid. I am just not sure if it is power steering fluid or not. The leak looks like it is coming from the steering shaft under the column. My guess would be a seal. Does anyone know how to fix this? I am really tired of this leak. It is leaking all over my shoes and pants plus it keeps pooling on the floor board and staining the carpet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your speedometer is run via a cable that is physically connected to your tranny and your speedo. The cable is inside a housing where it rotates, driven by a gear in your tranny.

In order to prevent this cable from wearing out and wearing through its own housing, and so it can last, the transmission funnels tranny fluid into this housing, just enought so that it can walk upwards inside the housing and keep the speedo cable lubed.

It is not normal for enough fluid to enter the housing so as to reach the top and come out and all over your shoes. I suspect that your tranny is not properly venting and the pressure is forcing too much fluid into the cable housing and making it go too high too fast.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Your speedometer is run via a cable that is physically connected to your tranny and your speedo. The cable is inside a housing where it rotates, driven by a gear in your tranny.

In order to prevent this cable from wearing out and wearing through its own housing, and so it can last, the transmission funnels tranny fluid into this housing, just enought so that it can walk upwards inside the housing and keep the speedo cable lubed.

It is not normal for enough fluid to enter the housing so as to reach the top and come out and all over your shoes. I suspect that your tranny is not properly venting and the pressure is forcing too much fluid into the cable housing and making it go too high too fast.

This i gotta see!

·
Registered
299 Posts

Had that exact issue with mine. I ended up replacing the speedo cable and the problem went away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had that exact issue with mine. I ended up replacing the speedo cable and the problem went away.
I have a brand Speedo Cable in there. Now it seems like it is getting worse. Could there be a seal around the steering shaft and power steering fluid maybe leaking....I dont know I have checked fluid levels on the powersteering and it seems to be fine. Maybe I will just take it in to the shop and have them look at it. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is no seal around the steering shaft holding back any fluid in your steering column. All of the parts that use steering fluid are under the hood (pump, rack, lines) and come nowhere near the steering column INSIDE the car. There is only ONE way that steering fluid is getting into your steering column - the speedo cable.

I will state this again: Make sure your tranny is properly venting, for starters. The buildup of heat will cause pressure to accumulate in the tranny if it is not vented, and this pressure can push fluid up the speedo cable and out onto your shoes.

The fluid has to be coming from somewhere, and for a reason. I haven't seen any other explanations here. If you don't understand what venting is, take the car to someone who does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts