Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a used 1991 mustang GT last week, and it was driving fine. However, I decided to give it a launch, and every time I'm in first gear, and try to shift quickly to second, it grinds and pops out. If I granny shift it, it works fine. Please help.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
797 Posts
sounds to me like your on the way to needing a rebuild, second seems to be a favourite gear to trash and from the limited info this seems to be what your describing.....$250 will guy you a rebuild kit, that and a little knowledge and maybe some help will set you up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the speedy response. How much do you think it would cost for a 2nd gear only rebuild?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, sorry for getting back so late. I'm not sure why, but the grinding went away, and I have not heard it for this whole week. Any explanations?

Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sometimes the transmission will only grind when the car is driven for the first few miles. After everything is up to operating temprature, the problem can sometimes go away. This is the case with my 3rd gear. This still indicates worn parts that will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.