Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased 91 5.0 auto had a custom ignition (screwdriver). The old ignition was so torn up, I ordered a salvage steering column. The problem is that the new column didn't come with a key. Is there any way to remove the old ignition cylinder without destroying it to have it keyed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you are going to have it keyed, why not do it in the column? A locksmith could do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The locksmith told me he couldn't do it in the column. If that is possible, I'll have to call another locksmith. Otherwise I'll be drilling out the old lock cylinder and ordering a replacement and I would rather not spend the money.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would think a locksmith would be able to do his thing without removing it. Huh.

The place where you salvaged the steering column- Do they have access to the original "donor car"? Maybe you could get a matching cylinder off of one of its doors for a locksmith to produce a working key from. Maybe he could do it that way?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok how about trying to drill out the pin, but use a hardened steel sleeve for the drill to go in and keep the drill on the pin instead of slipping into the sides. That will keep the metal around it safe. I have drilled the pin out before but without using a sleeve and it made the hole loose. Using a sleeve might keep it intact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The place where you salvaged the steering column- Do they have access to the original "donor car"? Maybe you could get a matching cylinder off of one of its doors for a locksmith to produce a working key from. Maybe he could do it that way?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the door key different from the ignition key?

I will also call a dealership, but I may not have any luck with a vehicle this old. It never hurts to try.

Drilling the pin may be a possibility as well. Wouldn't I have to get a new ignition cylinder if I did this?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Easiest way to deal with it is to drill out the tumbler, dont bother with the pin. As soon as the tumbler is driled out you will be able to turn it and remove what is left of tumbler. I had an 83 Bronco that the tumbler messed up in and would not turn. I just drilled it out till I could turn it. New tumbler with a key is cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, problem solved. I guess I just called a lazy locksmith. Another locksmith removed the old cylinder, I picked up a new one for $15. $45 dollars later, I have a working steering column. Now it's time to replace the old one.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Easiest way to deal with it is to drill out the tumbler, dont bother with the pin. As soon as the tumbler is driled out you will be able to turn it and remove what is left of tumbler. I had an 83 Bronco that the tumbler messed up in and would not turn. I just drilled it out till I could turn it. New tumbler with a key is cheap.

I have no idea why this simple method did not occur to me.:doh:

IMO this would have been the easiest and cheapest. But since the OP did this for relatively reasonable cost, it is worth the time that can be spent doing something else.:laughlitt

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the door key different from the ignition key?

I will also call a dealership, but I may not have any luck with a vehicle this old. It never hurts to try.
One key does it all on my SN95; I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the foxes, though...
My MN12 (Cougar) has two keys- one for doors/ignition, and the other for the trunk.

I tried to get a new key from my VIN at the dealer, but apparently Ford's records only go back 10 years. (I think he said 10.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts