Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is my wife's 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 It's got around 150,000 miles on it. We live in the suburbs of Phoenix and in the Summer there is no way we can run the A/C without the damn thing over heating.

I've tried everything. A 180 degree thermostat. A reverse rotation direct drive flex fan, with an extension to get the blades right up next to the radiator core, a Ford Racing multi core radiator, and even the whole blue hi-temp Silicone Hose Kit. It still runs hot.

So bad in Summer traffic we have to turn on the heat and run the fan to keep everything from going off the end of the gage. I'm ready to get rid of it. We've been putting up with this for 20 years. I've heard electric fans work well, but I'm no electrician, and I've heard they can cause a lot of trouble if they are not hooked up correctly. I don't know what to do except live with it. Has anyone else gone through this? Thanks in advance, Bill T.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I second the electric fan. I hear the electric fan our of an older Taurus with a DC controller is the best way to go. If you surf around these forums(Or wait for someone who knows the specific years) you can go to a junkyard and pick up the fan and order the controller online. Make sure to set it up so that it pulls the air through the radiator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The liquid metal hot pants and high heels keep me as hot as the Mustang! Bill T.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
what were we talking about..........:gringreen. oh yea, the 3.8 taurus fan is the one. 36-3800 c.f.m. fleabay for 40-45 bucks. several companies sell the fan control kits.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm just going to keep shut on the 2nd topic in this thread. My wifes ears itch any time I even look at another woman.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
mine doesn't even worry anymore. and DAVID, i keep forgetting to tell you. from all of us here and all over the U.S. THANK YOU! be safe...:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
you could try an electric water pump and add what is known as "water wetter" to the coolant

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
On my way home as I post this :) Somewhere around a month left before I get there.

On an up note we caught 19 pirates this trip and sank a pirate mothership off the coast of Somalia. JCT 68 was the name of the ship and it had 3 hostages on board. Unfortunately, only 2 hostages survived to go home.

It only costs 5$ to buy an AK-47 in Somali. So every time we pull up to a suspected pirate vessel they throw all their guns in the water and pretend to be fishermen. With no evidence against them we have to let them go. I don't know how many countless pirates we had to let get away this trip.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, let's see... in addition to the pirates and hot pants, which have been covered....

Have you checked the water pump? If the fins had, for example, corroded off, that would do it.

Another thing that will help is to use 25% antifreeze instead of 50% during the summer, plus add a bottle of RedLine Water wetter.

I'll bet a buck that if it hasn't been checked, it's the water pump. Get a good high flow replacement water pump from Jegs or Summit - don't buy that Chinese $#!% from the junk parts store down the street.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I didn't see anthing about the fan clutch, spin your fan , if it turns freely the fan clutch is bad, it should have some resistance

1 - 19 of 19 Posts