Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 91 LX hb 5.0 w/ KYB shock/Steeda spring kit installed on 275/40R17s in rear (245/45R17s front). It looks wicked cool, but the right rear tire rubs on big bumps, or if I put a passenger or other load in the back. I've seen metal coil spring spacers by Global West. Has anyone had similar rub problem and tried spacers like this? Any other comments/suggestions/ideas? I know I can roll the wheel well, but I'd rather not do that. I've also seen the easy twist in coil isolators, but that doesn't seem like a desirable solution, as it eliminates some of the coil function.

·
Registered
172 Posts
buy a set of 245/45r17's for the rear

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Where is it rubbing? It might be on the quad shock (easy fix), the control arm, or the underside of the fender.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tire is rubbing at the top of the wheel well. It has already taken off some paint and scraped up the tire. It's not often or terrible, but eventually, it's going to compromise the life of the tire. I guess I should also consider swapping to a smaller width tire - putting the same size front and rear would enable me to rotate easier, but I sure would be giving up "the look". Also, it currently does not have the lateral shocks installed at all. Am I risking damaging existing components by not having those shocks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
btw - thanks for the replies so far - the car actually is my kid's, but I'm having a ton of fun with it myself and enjoying learning and helping to figure out what our options are. I'd still like to know what everyone thinks of the spacer idea.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I just bought 91 LX hb 5.0 w/ KYB shock/Steeda spring kit installed on 275/40R17s in rear (245/45R17s front). It looks wicked cool, but the right rear tire rubs on big bumps, or if I put a passenger or other load in the back. I've seen metal coil spring spacers by Global West. Has anyone had similar rub problem and tried spacers like this? Any other comments/suggestions/ideas? I know I can roll the wheel well, but I'd rather not do that. I've also seen the easy twist in coil isolators, but that doesn't seem like a desirable solution, as it eliminates some of the coil function.
The tire is rubbing at the top of the wheel well. It has already taken off some paint and scraped up the tire. It's not often or terrible, but eventually, it's going to compromise the life of the tire. I guess I should also consider swapping to a smaller width tire - putting the same size front and rear would enable me to rotate easier, but I sure would be giving up "the look". Also, it currently does not have the lateral shocks installed at all. Am I risking damaging existing components by not having those shocks?
DON'T JACK IT UP!!! (unless you like that look)

**IF** the rear wheels are the proper offset, 275/40-17s will clear BY A MILE if you remove the quad shocks and roll the fender lips.

Here are the 275/40-17s on my '93 coupe with UPR suspension and 17x10 Pony R wheels:

EDIT- duh. Thread revival. I didn't notice.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts