Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys so rear end was howeling. so i replaced every bearing, cup, and seal. and sence i was in there i said screw it and put a FFPP 31 spline traction lock carrier, Yucon 31 spline axles, and new 3:73 gears. put in a limited-slip additive and 75w90 sythetic gear oil. when i took a right and only a right at any speed it makes a binding/rubbing noise. was told that i need 80w90 and shouldnt have used 75w90 so after a drain and fill it still does it. i think it's coming from the left side but before i thought it was the right side. hard to tell. also i think it's making a slight noise going straight now......again, hard to tell. anyone else run into this? know what it could be?

thanks

ps. yes backlash is set and everything moves as smooth as can be. also took the cover off and nothing's chipped, no bad wear marks, no blue spots

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
235/45/17. why would they be rubbing after rebuilding the rear end?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so did u put on smaller tires in the rear and the noise stopped?

·
Registered
517 Posts
a 235 should not rub at all i run a 275 with quad shocks and they dont rub

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what my buddy at work said and he's ran 275's with quads and no problems. just doesnt make sense that the sencond i drive it after the rear end's done and every single moving part, bearing, cup, and seal is replaced that it makes noise when i take a right. just found out today and my driveshaft is moving up and down. not a lot but enough to cause problems i'm sure.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Who rebuilt the rear? I would check with marking compound that the ring gear is patterning correcty. Howling is usually a rear end that is too tight. If it does it on a turn then you need to figure if you used the right amount of friction mod.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who rebuilt the rear? I would check with marking compound that the ring gear is patterning correcty. Howling is usually a rear end that is too tight. If it does it on a turn then you need to figure if you used the right amount of friction mod.
i rebuilt it. was told by my boss who helped me(i work at a garage) that i did everything right. now it has driveshaft play so could the backlash be wrong? or the pinion needs to be retorqued?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all fixed. pionion was loose and carrier brackets wereloose so the carrier bearing cups where spining. hopfully the new gears were saved

1 - 10 of 10 Posts