Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum and I'm having a spark issue with my mustang that I can't figure it out, so I am seeing if posting here will be of some help.

Little History: I purchased the car in March of 2011, most of the upgrades had been done by the previous owner. The car ran from March 2011- November 2012 with no issues.

Car has trick flow heads, 30 pound injectors, holly intake manifold, MSD 6 AL box. Some more but not sure how relevant it is.

Problem: Last November, getting read to move it over in my garage for the winter, I fired it up, back it out of my garage and turned the car off. I got out and took 5 minutes to sweep from where the car was, got back in it and it cranks but nothing. Little diagnostics later I find it has no spark. After getting fed up with it, the car sat until about this week when I had time to mess with it again.

Revamp: The module that sits on the side of the distributor tested good. The MSD coil also tested good. There is no spark going into the coil. We have the MSD ignition box and also the stock ignition wired so you can go back and forth. Both of them had no spark. So the spark is not even reaching the distributor.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a bad wire somewhere something. Fuel pump kicks on when the ignition is turned. Checked the fuses and none of them looked bad either.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
482 Posts
How exactly did you test the TFI on your distributor? Did you just check the signal going from the TFI to the coil, at the coil, to see if you have a strong pulsing signal?

If the coil resistance is within spec, I'd check that TFI again. Don't know how many of those I've changed due to similar symptons as you're describing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I brought it to Autozone and had them hook it up to a diagnostic machine. The thing is, there is no nothing even getting to the distributor. There is no spark leaving the coil going into the distributor. Also, took the coil to autozone and they ran diagnostics on it as well.

Swapped another distributor, with the same TFI module. Still nothing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So if I'm understanding right, you used a different dist with the old TFI from your previous one? If so, I'm thinking TFI even more now.
Those diagnostics machines are crap. They don't test anything under load, and half the time they give me faulty readings (try explaining to them why a starter needs to be tested with a load on). If I can find my old TFI test sheet I'll post it. Check to see if there's power in the connector leading to your TFI, and if so, check your output at the coil (I THINK it's green?). Stick a test light in, crank your engine. If the flash comming out is fast and weak, then the TFI isn't doing its job. If the flash is bright and longer, bout half a second, then the TFI is working and you're looking at the dizzy or the coil (which was tested ok).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts