Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Mustang GT with AOD Transmission and 3.73 rearend gear (with correct speedometer gear also). When the car is cold it shifts first through overdrive perfectly. When the car is warmed up it shifts great first through drive but to get in overdrive you must let off the gas completely and it goes in overdrive around 40 to 45 mph. Fluid looks clean no burnt smell, also no slipage in any gear. Ive adjusted the Tv cable, set at just a hair over mid like it said in forums. Thought I might try a external transmission cooler since the differance was after the engine was warm. Maybe flush transmission fluid and change filter and fluid. I've always had 5 speed cars so this automatic stuff is new to me any help would be great.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a 91 lx with a aod in it mine did the same thingtook forever to change into od, I changed out the valve body for a tci streetfighter valve body shifts great now like a 4 speed automatic, shifts at 4900 rpms. I also changed all the fluid and filter twice once to flush the trans. ,250 thousand miles on it and still going strong. when i took apart the old valve body i found a broke spring in there might have been the problem with the od :thumbup:

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
It's actually designed for you to let pressure off of the pedal to get overdrive, it's not meant to go into OD if you're under throttle past a certain point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I understand that it won't go in od at certain throttle positions. When I said it goes in at 40 to 45 I meant thats absolutely the only speed it will go in overdrive. It pulls put shifts through drive great, gets to 55 and won't go in od till you let it slow down.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Will it stay in overdrive once it's in? How far down do you mash the gas and have it go back into third?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it stays in od doesn't slip or anything, just getting in is the problem I don't understand. It will just keep running in drive till you let off the gas and slows to 40-45 mph. Doesn't do this when the car cool. Leads me to believe the built in transmission cooler is bad. I have a new one ordered. To the floor to kick down from overdrive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.