Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently at stop lights my Mustang starts to rumble and the rpm's begin to drop and my car dies on me. If I rev the engine it wont stall. It doesn't always stall though, just some of the times. I can sit out front of my house with the engine running and it feels like it wants to stall, but it doesn't. Then I can just be at a stop for a minute and it will die. I am not mechanically inclined person, but I was inspecting my car and underneath I noticed a piece of pipe that was missing a section. I am curious if maybe this could have to do with the stalling. I have attached a photo. If anyone can tell me what this pipe is and if it has anything to do with my car problems I would greatly appreicate it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Clean up time

Clean out the IAC with throttle body cleaner. Clean out the throttle body. Check the timing, see how it act between 10 and 14 degrees (with spout connector out). After you have done these things follow the idle setting procedure in my threads. Don't bother messing with the TPS unless the rest of the process does not work. You will most likely not be out of range, as you will see in the debates in my thread.

Clean the Mas Air flow, preferably with an electronics parts cleaner. Don't touch the elements in the tube just spray them off with the cleaner real good from both sides.

Clean the Air filter, or replace. Do a EEC code check. You can find in these forums how to do it at home with a wire and counting the blinks of the check engine.

Good luck one of these should fix it and doing them all will never hurt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
also.... check the..

also see if any exhaust is coming out of that air tube from the side connected to the H-pipe. If so plug it first. If you have all your emissions stuff still on have that air tube reconnected.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I'm guessing that car is making a lot racket with the exhaust being broken like that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
actually it looks like smog piping going to the cat it wouldnt cause a bad idle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!! Well to be honest my car does make a bit of noise but the mufflers have always been kind of loud. It also does make a bit of a racket when I go over speed bumps, but that is cause after having some transmission work done one of the bolts holding the muffler was broken. I had it re-welded on but it really hasn't been the same since.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually

actually it looks like smog piping going to the cat it wouldnt cause a bad idle
If the exhaust was leaking from the H-pipe out of the air tube, it could affect the idle and the way the car runs, the same as having a hole in the exhaust affects your back pressure and in turn the way the car runs altogether. Fix that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
true ive been without cats on my car for forever so i kinda forgot those pipes were actually used for something at one point haha :bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.