Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok- here goes. I recently added ported GT40 heads, Performer intake, BBK 70mm tb, shorty headers and TFS stage 1 cam to my stock shortblock. When I first fired the car up, I set the timing to 14 degrees. Fuel pressure was close to 40psi. The car would surge and buck like crazy at steady rpm's, but under acceleration, it would run perfectly smooth, and pull hard all the way to redline. The idle however, was erratic, so I attempted to do the base idle reset. After getting the idle reset, I set TPS to the magical .98, plugged IAC back in, reset computer and........The car will barely run. Sounds like it missing terribly, Try to give it gas and it stumbles badly. It is also popping thru the tube where the mass air sensor is. Smell of raw fuel will burn your eyes. Where do I begin? PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't checked timing again. Distributor is tight. Two days ago this thing was almost dead on. It was stalling when I came to a stop. Idle wasn't perfect but it was close..........Not sure how to check IAC. When I unplugged it, the car stalled. Now though- it sounds like it running on 7 cylinders. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds to me like timing issues maybe its 180 out do you think its possible the dist. wasnt all the way tight and it jumped time? its more than likely the timing just take it to TDC and make sure the rotor is on #1 and set the timing again better safe than sorry

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll double check timing, but it was nailed down. the major problems didnt start til i started messing with throttle body and tps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So you have stock injectors and a stock maf? Check all your spark plugs you might have a few with cracks in the porcelain and it will make the car feel like its only running on 6 or 7 cylinders. Even the tiniest crack in the porcelain will make a huge difference. How did you adjust the tps?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked plugs- they were good. adjusted tps by probing green and black wires with digital meter. Engine off key on. I disconnected the battery first to clear computer. Hooked up battery, adjusted tps, and then plugged iac back in and fired up. No luck- I then unhooked battery again let it set for a few minutes, hooked it back up and refired the car. Still barely ran........it took about half throttle to even rev the motor, and then when I let off, idle would hang and then slowly drop back to down to 800 rpms or so. When I would give it gas, it was popping thru the inlet tube. It wasn't doing any of this before I messed with the tps and the screw on the throttle body. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't NEAR this bad.

·
Registered
428 Posts
you said you messed with the throttle body? did the gaskets not seat correctly and cause a vac. leak?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ford Fuel Injection this should give you some help :bigthumbsup anything you might need to know and troubleshooting too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts