Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. Please don't bust my chops yet for doing something wrong yet. I am in need of advice and help.
I have a problem with my Mustang. 1992 Mustang LX 2.3L convertible. My passenger power window switch won't work. My driver side switch works and it controls all the windows perfectly fine. I took the car to my auto class/ shop and the teacher said my switch was bad on the passenger side.
I don't want to have to pay a lot for a simple part. Is there someone who encountered this before and solved the problem? If so, please post or if you have the part and it works I am willing to buy it. (I don't to have to pay for a $25 or $50 replacement) Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
No one will bust your chops!! If they do - let me know! :winks

Welcome to AFM! I am sure someone here in the 2.3 Area will be able to help you out!!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'll bust your chops!! LOL, just messin'

I would lean towards something definately wrong with the electrical side control circuit.
I am guessing you can remove the switch with the door panel in place? If so, you can at least test the circuit with a meter to see if there is voltage on the "outlet" side of the switch.
If the switch test out as good, I would see if the wiring came loose from the switch to the window motor. The down part of that is you will have to pull the door panel, and that will cost you money as you will have to put it back on and will need new door panel clips to do so.

I would save up some cash to do this and have some also set aside for a new switch if that ends up being the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your posts. I got a bit of cash not much though. I did as you said before I posted here at my auto shop class. We took the swtich and tested it. I am still learning the electical concepts but... in a nut shell he said that i should get a new swtich. When we install it if I still don't get power then it must be something else. Again, any more further input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
How did you test the switch? Did you notice if you had power on one of the wires leading to the switch with the key in the on position?

If there's continuity through the switch when it is engaged in both directions, and you have power coming in, I'd check the wiring between the switch and the window regulator motor. The motor obviously works if you can operate it from the driver's side so the problem is either before the switch, the switch itself, or between the switch and the motor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I worked on a friend's old crown vic a while back where the switches were coated over with something 'till they didn't make contact. Good cleaning was all it took to fix. You might try that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.