Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 2.3L has been working like a charm for a few months now but all of the sudden trouble poked its head up again.

I got home from work on Tuesday, pulled into the parking lot of my apartment complex and threw it into reverse, it didn't budge. So I put it back into drive and found a spot and parked normal.

A few bits of info:

- Car is a 1992 2.3L Automatic.
- Auto Tranny was rebuilt at about 70,000 miles
- Car currently has about 115,000 miles on it
- I can feel the car shift into reverse but it doesn't move (it does roll back about an inch but locks - as if the break has been applied)
- I can feel the car shift into neutral as well, but it doesn't move
- When shifting to drive or OD the car moves forward (but I can't move very far due to the cement block)
- While the car was both in reverse and neutral I tried to push it backward but it was like it was in park
- The E brake is not engaged (my dad and I never hooked it back up after swapping the rear axle to 8.8 w/ limited slip & disc brakes)

At first I was thinking it was the tranny but for it to actually shift into each gear and only work in drive, it makes me think it could be the brakes, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you couldn't push it back in neutral, then it's probably not the transmission.

I'd jack the back up and try to spin the wheels. There's probably something up with a caliper. The rear disk calipers have a ratcheting mechanism that keep them adjusted for the parking brake arm. One or both of them may be stuck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you couldn't push it back in neutral, then it's probably not the transmission.

I'd jack the back up and try to spin the wheels. There's probably something up with a caliper. The rear disk calipers have a ratcheting mechanism that keep them adjusted for the parking brake arm. One or both of them may be stuck.

Hmm okay, I'll check that out this weekend. The thing is, why is it letting me go into drive and it works?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah, thought about that after I posted. I still think you need to do more troubleshooting. Get it up in the air and see what you can see.

You mentioned that you feel it go in reverse. Does the idle change? Does the car torque up like you're power braking it if you give it gas or does it free rev?

What really puzzles me is that the car won't move in neutral.

Where did the 8.8 come from and what did the gears and bearings look like before installation?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts