Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So Ive got a 1992 LX that stinks like gas and has to pass emissions so I decided to re-install the charcoal canister. I have the canister and the valve and I have located the vent line and the intake line and valve electrical connection. Seems like its in the bag right....wrong!!! Heres the vent line that has been clipped before I picked up this car. So can I couple it and if so what size is the line? Should I just replace the whole line...where can I get it? Also Ive heard sombody mention a 90 degree boot that attaches the line and the canister. Any Idea who sells it besides a junkyard? Same thing on the other end, the Vacuum line coming off the intake to the Valve is bigger than the valve connection. Also does the outgoing connection on the canister need a boot too? Sorry for all the questions, just so close but cant get er done!!

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
I really don't think the size of the hose matters. its important that you have a good seal going to the intake.

Just go to a hardware store and find some tubing that will fit....Like Ace or whatnot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that side is already good and sealed so I can just pop the valve on to that no prob, and I can go get vac line from there to the canister. The real problem is the vent line from the tank was clipped and is to short, and its thin plastic tubing not regular vac line. Also the plug on the canister for the vent line is way bigger, hows it supposed to fit? There has to be a boot or something between the line and the can? I want it the original way if possible not a hardware store rig up. I mean its fuel vapor and will probly eat up the hose if its not right, over time anyway.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
From the bottom of the intake to the charcoal cannister is 1/4" ID rubber tubing that you can get at any auto parts store. You'll need about 30" of the 1/4" tubing if you go from the intake to the charcoal cannister.
The 90 degree boot/tubing you asked about is the tubing that connects the last 6" or so to the charcoal cannister.

This is how it should look when everything is hooked up right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, that picture helps. The vent line from the tank on mine must have been replaced or something from the metal line under the door forward. Mines really skinny and plastic not like yours at all. If you look at my first picture you can see it. Dont know what size its supposed to be do you? Looks like Im going to have to replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
My line from the charcoal cannister to the gas tank is a lot larger than the line you're showing from what I can tell from your picture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So heres the line under the passanger side into this rubber connector where it changes to a metal line. Its not white like it looks in the picture thats just the flash. Also this is a 1987 body, I put 1992 becouse the motor is from a 1992 if that matters. Wrong line? Sorry the cars lowered so its hard to see. Ill have to jack it up later and trace it all the way back. If thats not the line whats it for? haha

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yea I jacked it up and traced it all the way to the tank. Kinda hard to see since you gotta drop the tank to completely see it. Then I realized(duh) I could just suck it! haha yea its defenitly fuel vapor. The connection under the passenger door from the metal line is coupled together with the line that is supposed to be there and that skinny black tube that was added. Dont know why this guy did that but he removed the old original line and put this skinny black vent line in. Maybe to make more pressure in the tank, or clean it up since it wasnt hooked to anything? Dont know. Oh well now I get to go buy new line today. I think thats what threw me off so much was this skinny line that isnt supposed to be there. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
So yea I jacked it up and traced it all the way to the tank. Kinda hard to see since you gotta drop the tank to completely see it. Then I realized(duh) I could just suck it! haha yea its defenitly fuel vapor. The connection under the passenger door from the metal line is coupled together with the line that is supposed to be there and that skinny black tube that was added. Dont know why this guy did that but he removed the old original line and put this skinny black vent line in. Maybe to make more pressure in the tank, or clean it up since it wasnt hooked to anything? Dont know. Oh well now I get to go buy new line today. I think thats what threw me off so much was this skinny line that isnt supposed to be there. Thanks
The skinny line threw me also, but at least now you know for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got everything installed and hooked up. No gas smell at all, also seems to run a little smoother. Just put that odd vent line into the 1/4" gas line I picked up with a clamp. Worked perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts