Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 92 LX 2.3 with 5 speed with 147,000 on the odo. I have one problem i can't solve. Since i got the car, the check engine light comes on about 10 seconds after starting, the tach won't display the correct rpms, and the engine has idleing issues, and when cold it sounds like it's missing till it goes passed 1500rpms or so, then it runs WOT with no problem. Once its warmed up some, it doesn't stumble on take off, but i have still noticed that being on the freeway going 75, if i lay on the gas, it sounds like it misses. but if i lightly press the gas its fine. I've also noticed that some times on take off it seems to have more power then other times. And all this time the check engine light is on. But the odd thing is, at times, rare as it has been, The check engine light will not come on or even turn off after being on, and the car runs awesome. When the light has been off, the tach works, the engine doesnt stumble and it runs right. But this has been short lived always, and it goes off at random times with no reason. I pulled the engine codes, though i did not know there was another way not involving an analog volt meter. The codes that i got from that, were (i need to find the paper i wrote them down on but) noise in power source, intake air temp out of range, engine idle not learned, and there were a few others, but as i seem to recall i couldnt find the codes in the haynes book and may not have gotten all of them right. So my question is this, I've looked over as much of the engine wireing harness as i can and i can not find any wires broken, rubbed through or contacting a ground source and i can not find a ground that is bad. I had thought the after market alarm system might have been the cause of it, but after removing it slowly i only found two wires had been tapped useing splice blocks, one near the fuse block and the other being by the driver side head light. removing it has not fixed anything. the only thing left that is not stock is an after market cd player. I haven't looked at the wiring for it. I have already done most of the maintainance, air, oil, fuel filters, primary plugs, new primary ignition coil, cleaned the mass air sensor. Any one else encounter a problem like this, I believe it is the ECU has gone bad, being a 20 year old car and such, and the previous owner wasn't a mechanic and i wouldnt be surprised if it was jumpered wrong.

Any one have any ideas?

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Need to run the codes. Link of How to run codes on same page.
Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test
Tach half rpm is usually either one of the coil packs or ignition module mount on the intake.
If half to replace the later make sure to use heat conduction paste [not dieelectric paste] May have to get a a radio shack. If not done you may half do the job again. Maurice

1 - 2 of 2 Posts