Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as it is starting to get hotter around here, I'm trying to get my a/c going. I'm getting 12v to the compressor but it does not engage. Is this the sign of a worn a/c clutch or could it be something else?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i know most systems wont allow the clutch to engage when there isn't enough refrigerant in the system
I'm getting power to the compressor and I'm using a jumper on the low pressure switch, so I think it should engage unless there is another problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like you have a slow leak that caused the freon to leak out. Have you upgraded your AC to R134A? If not, you'll have to find some r-12 or go to a shop and have it tested. Have them do a vacuum test and see how many in. of vacuum it holds. That should tell you if you have a leak.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have a slow leak that caused the freon to leak out. Have you upgraded your AC to R134A? If not, you'll have to find some r-12 or go to a shop and have it tested. Have them do a vacuum test and see how many in. of vacuum it holds. That should tell you if you have a leak.
One of the previous owners had it converted to R134A. From my understanding the compressor clutch should engage since I'm getting power to it. If it was low on refrigerant, It would be cycling quickly right?

·
Registered
617 Posts
One of the previous owners had it converted to R134A. From my understanding the compressor clutch should engage since I'm getting power to it. If it was low on refrigerant, It would be cycling quickly right?
No the clutch will not engage if the refrigerant is low.There is a pressure switch on the pump that tells the system when it's low.Look for greasy spots on or near the fittings on your A/c lines and that will tell you where the major leaks are.Don't open the system tho,there can be no moisture in there or you will be replacing parts so just take it to a rad shop or somewhere that specializes in a/c stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You should be able to get your AC serviced for a good price. I am glad you have the conversion. R-12 is very expensive. Also if its been a while since it was charged last, check for rust where the lines go to the compressor. O-rings get old and crack causing the refrigerant to leak out. Make sure you have them re-charge the oil as well!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.