Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to smog my car in about two months and I'm a little worried. When I bought the car it had an evap leak and did not pass, I fixed the leak and the car passed but the HC raised by around 30ppm and was 12ppm away from failing. My question is, can I plug the line between the carbon canister and intake so that it does not add the vapor and could the evap system account for the rise in ppm? Here in Cali they do an 15mph and 25mph, not sure if that will help. The increase in ppm was higher for the 15mph test.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Usually high HC can be contributed by a poor combustion. So if you havent yet, a good tune up should be in order.

Make sure the there are no Trouble Codes being logged by the ECM.

As to your question about the purge solenoid. Not real sure, you can try it and see. The Charcoal cansiter is just mainly to burn gas fumes, instead of dumping it in the atmosphere. Is not open all the time that I know of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually high HC can be contributed by a poor combustion. So if you havent yet, a good tune up should be in order.
I'm doing a tune up beforehand for sure, previous owner said he did but ... . I need to check compression too, high mileage, low compression can cause poor combustion right?
I just want this done so I can throw on my headers/h-pipe and not worry about it for another 2 years.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Low compression wouldnt help it. Other things like, weak spark, leaking injectors, will cause emission problems too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.