Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headscratch:Hey guys.. i drove my car home today and when i went to turn it off the starter started to crank then ill turn the key and it would start up. once again i turned it off and there goes the starter cranking again. i tried this 3 times before i just disconnected the battery. then i hooked it back up and then started it again to see if i turn it off the starter would crank again but before i turned it off i smelled a electrical burn. so i disconnected the battery again. once i reconnected it again and went to start it up all it did was one click every time i went to start it up..

here is alittle bit what i did recently.. i actually been working on my car on the weekends. all i did was put a new professional products 65mm throttle body on, ford racing 1.6 roller rockers and replaced my battery power wire. i also seafoamed my crank, through the vacume line and fuel. after i did that i wound up with a pretty good size oil leak which when i got it home i was going to clean it all up to make sure it was coming from the pan or rear main seal.

Well does anyone have any idea what could have happened here. I got under the car and the starter wasnt drenched in oil because i was thinking the oil could have shorted it out. PLEASE HELP!!!! the last thing i want to do is put on another starter and the same thing happen.. ALso does this mean that my starter is fried since i smelled a electrical burn and now all it does it click when i turn the key?how about the starter solenoid? ahhhh i cant beleive this. One thing after another right away!!! cant i just enjoy my car.. i just bought the thing 2 months or so ago and only drove it for a few weeks already.. WTF

·
Registered
179 Posts
couple things to look at are the starter solinoid, probubly somewhere on the right fender area, might be on the starter, not familliar with yours in particular. most fords ive seen use a seperate solinoid. which is good because there easy to replace and not real expensive. the other thing might be the starter stuck in the teeth engaged position, though i do belive this wouldnt cause the starter motor to run. leads me back to the solinoid. starter motors arnt designed to run for long periods of time and can easilly burn out if overused in a situation like you describe. hopefully the burnt electrical you smelled was the solinoid.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The electrical smell could be a fusable link dying, you might want to check them over between the coil and the battery.
As for the problem, I'd look at the solenoid. If that isn't right, it won't crank.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this how you test the solenoid??

IF testing the solenoid is putting jumper cables or a long screwdriver on the positive terminal of the battery and on the red and white wire with the boot that goes onto the now that looks like a screw on the solenoid, I just did that and I was still just getting a clicking noise and no turn over on the starter.I also put a screw driver across the other two big knobs on the solenoid and still just clicking. this means my solenoid is bad correct??? is there any way I can check the starter also?? just in case that burning smell was my starter frying due to cranking non stop??

how do you check the fusible links? what do they look like also?how do you know if they are bad? and what is fusible links?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just replaced my solenoid and still just clicking. Does that mean my starter is bad now??? i was going to get a fusible link but the advance auto said that would be a dealership part.. any way to check them??

im trying to get my starter out to take it to go get checked since i dont know how and i cant get out the upper bolt. i even used alot of seafoam deep creap.. any suggestions.. but if there is a way to test the starter without taking it out would be great!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i already replaced the solenoid

·
Registered
8 Posts
sounds to me like the bendix is sticking in the starter. this thing sticks, and the starter continuously rotates. happened twice to me. got to replace the starter for that. the easiest way for me to get to the upper bolt is to use an extension and a universal on the ratchet, then go through the a-arm to get to the bolt. no akward, tiring positions. and plenty of turning room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like a bad starter. The samething happend to me 2 weeks ago, so I replaced the relay on the driver side fender and the starter. I agree with nfntree on how to get the upper bolt out but be sure not to strip it, because the pervious owner stripped the upper on my 93' and I had to weld a nut to the head of the bolt to get it out. Also I changed the bolts to grade 8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
u said you replaced your positive battery cable. Which side of the starter relay did you put the cable on? if you have it on the same side as the cable for the starter its wrong

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well here is the final update... Yes the bolt was already stripped come to find out byt he previous owner.. like bad..haha.. i had to cut the head of the bolt off with only the blade of a hacksaw.. took 7 hours to get that bolt cut since i barely had any room with my hand.. omg the the next day i went out and bought a torch.. son of a B**** broke free after only 10 sec.. lesson learned guys.. if you cant get the bolt off after 5 minutes just get the torch.. i bet if i torch heated it from the beginning it would have came out with easy... haha.. come to find out it was my starter.. the solenoid went bad and burnt out my starter..

Its back on the road once again.. Thanks Again Guys.. You all are great!!!!!!!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well I have an 88 GT and here is what happened to me....One day while leaving home, 3 blocks down the road I hear this horrible grinding, car still running smooth, just this really loud noise...turns out the solenoid on the inner fender got stuck and triggered the starter. Then after that, one day I tried to start her and it just clicked, so I popped the hood thinking a loose bateery cable, I had left the ignition on (I know) and when I looked down the car jerked forward so I quickly turned the ignition off and when I went back to check under the hood, thick smoke started coming out of the bottom of the engine compartment, I dont need to say that I was filled with grief thinking that I was going to watch my car burn. Well, it stopped and it was towed...turns out that the rear crank shaft seal was leaking oil onto the starter and it went up in flames that morning, well t lest that's the explanation I got.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.