Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I'm having a strange problem with the car not driving straight in a lane at higher speeds, around 65-70mph. At first, it felt like there's play in the steering wheel, but it doesn't seem to be the case. The front end was just aligned, and the mechanic said the tires were 'good'. Are there any common problems with the front ends of these cars that I should be aware of? The car has 140,000 miles. It doesn't seem to favor pulling either left or right, but a slight void where it feels that the wheel is 'in between' feeling tight with the front end.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The rack could be worn down, with 140000 miles on it I wouldn't be surprised. With the steering wheel straight up in a normal position is where the rack wears out the most.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rack could be worn down, with 140000 miles on it I wouldn't be surprised. With the steering wheel straight up in a normal position is where the rack wears out the most.
Thanks! I'll have to have it checked out. I feel a bit uneasy driving it on the highway like this. Did you ever feel like you were the only person maintains their car properly? I think this poor Mustang went the whole 140k with nothing at all being serviced, until I got it. Money pit, here we come...:censored:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had the front end checked out, and the tech said that there was "nothing wrong with it"..."Normal wear and tear". Maybe, but this steering should be a bit tighter than this, IIRC from the Fox Mustangs I've driven over the years.

With the engine running, and the car pointed straight ahead, if I move the steering wheel left and right (bounce it back and forth), I get an inch or two 'play' in both directions in the wheel before the tires start to turn. I can see the universal joint and the top of the rag joint moving, but not the tires. The wheel feels like it's attached to an elastic band, is the only way I can describe it.

Could it possibly be the universal joint by the firewall, or the rag joint?:headscratch:

Anyone know a really good front-end tech in the Essex/Bergen/Passaic county area?:D

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
my steering wheel also has a little bit of play, but its nowhere near an inch or two to either side, its mor like a 1/4-1/2 an inch. of course mines only got 30000 miles on it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.