Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the lower control arms and installed Eibach Pro Kit, I also had the front aligned on my 92 notch. Now the cars seems to wander and follow the rain grooves on the freeway. Is this considered "Bump Steer"? or could my steering rack be worn? (98M miles)

Also if it is bump steer, will a bump steer kit be all that's required? or will I have to install the offset rack bushings? Sorry for all the questions.... thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
I also installed an Eibach Kit and used some BBK castor/camber plates for the alignment. My car wanders too after the install. Offset rack bushings and a bumpsteer kit will probably give you the best results, however, a worn steering rack and components will take away from a "crisp, positive" feel at the wheel. My steering rack is leaking (surprise surprise) so I'll be changing the shaft and rack as well. Basically every little bit helps toward a new tight feeling steering setup.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think all you need is a good professional alignment. Bumpsteer happens when the suspension compresses or rebounds causing the wheels to change direction. If the eibach kit lowered your car any, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install a bumpsteer kit. I don't recommend (from what I've read on Maximum Motorsports website) the use of offset rack bushings. They can shift around and possibly cause bad things to happen.

R

·
0 Posts
I also installed an Eibach Kit and used some BBK castor/camber plates for the alignment. My car wanders too after the install. Offset rack bushings and a bumpsteer kit will probably give you the best results, however, a worn steering rack and components will take away from a "crisp, positive" feel at the wheel. My steering rack is leaking (surprise surprise) so I'll be changing the shaft and rack as well. Basically every little bit helps toward a new tight feeling steering setup.
if you follow the advice above it will correct your problems......

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Bump steer is when the suspension is compressed and on the rebound the steering is made to change direction. This is common with a lowered suspension because the geometry has changed. If you've lowered an inch or more, it'd be a good idea to get a bump steer kit.

The rack is probably worn normal for 98000 miles, but it shouldn't be enough to cause a wandering. I'd start by checking the condition of the tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info, the tires are new. Is there a way to check if the rack needs to be replaced? I have no leaks.. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.