Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new starter the other day. The little wire that comes of the solenoid was messed up. So i replaced it with a new 10 gauge wire. Well now after the car is running from a start, the starter doesnt disengage for about 2-4 seconds then it does. Tryed new starter switch on the Left inner fender and it didnt change a thing.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I got a new starter the other day.
Double check that the starter face is perfectly flat against the bell housing.

If you are good there, I'd say the starter drive was hanging or binding on the flywheel and the one you installed was defective.

You might try loosening the bolts and see if there is any play. If so, give the starter a wobble, tighten the mounting bolts and try starting her up again.

A bad ignition switch might cause this too, but you did not mention if there were previous problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
take the wire off the solenoid and install a test light between it and ground. try the key to start it. if the light stays on after you release the key there is probably something wrong with your ignition switch or wiring.

if the light goes off when you release the key and you've tried a know solenoid that works then its the starter thats not disengaging and you need to take it back

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I agree with both of them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also agree with both

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a gander at the solenoid and noticed the wiring was messed up. I put the power wire to the starter on the same side as the solenoid. So I switched it back to the other post and it starts w/o grinding now. <3 forum search feature.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thats funny......i had that happen to mine when i first bought my stang. I was so relieved to finally rid my car of another gremlin i called eagleautosports to tell him the good news........remember that bud!!!!! :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
yeah.................................................:woo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.