Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to begin with this, I just bought a 92 2.3 notch automatic and the engine wont turn over and the oil smells of gas, the timing belt broke, I think the starter isn't engaging, I'm so disappointed and frustrated right now its hard to think of what I should do next.

Should I pull the head and look for physical damage? And if the head is good then what could be causing my oil to reek of regular unleaded?

Another idea is if the engine is bad could the ranger 2.5 work or perhaps a turbo shortblock with the stock 92 parts on top so i could turbo later?

another idea we kicked around is swapping my nPI 4.6 V8 and trans from my 1999 Ford interceptor into the 92 notch, what all would we have to do to do that?
Price is a factor this time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
another idea we kicked around is swapping my nPI 4.6 V8 and trans from my 1999 Ford interceptor into the 92 notch, what all would we have to do to do that?
Price is a factor this time.

cant answer your other questions but this one i can at least partially.

youll need forsure:

the engine
computer
wiring harness

possibly a new trans to match up with the engine

new driveshaft possibly

and probably a stronger rear end

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I did some searching and I found out that the Ranger 2.5 was switched to DIS ignition in 1999 and they got rid of the hole for the dizzy. so any pre-99 2.5 should be identical to the 2.3 I think, I'm probably going to pull the head off the engine later today and see where we stand as far as the head is concerned.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just putting a turbo short block wont work you would need to pull the Dizzy out and plug the hole so you could make it DIS 91-93 are DIS and I just got finished doing my swap to turbo on my 93 it isn't that hard the wiring is the worst but you can pay someone to do it I got a guy if you wanna know.

The motor is non interference so the head shouldn't be damaged unless someone did something to the motor. I would try to crank the car over by had the crank pully I believe is either a 21-22MM can't remember off the top of my head. Pull 4 of the 8 plugs out 1 per cyl so that way it is easier to turn over and doesn't build compression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the useful info, the plan is to swap in a ranger engine, but I which 2.5 do I need? we're trying to pull a loan to pay for a new engine and 5 speed *if the engine needs replaced then why not do the entire shbang all at once;)

So if I did the 2.5 I would need something out of like a 99+ ranger? and what else would I need to swap to a T5?

1992 Ford mustang LX 2.3 auto.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
perhaps, we found an engine for around $900 it would be awesome to find a turbo engine for that much, complete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would the TC engine work with the dual plug head that the 92 has? I'd like it to be as plug and play as possible. And I live way over in Oregon, parts are spendy here unless we get super lucky and know the right people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We decided to tackle the 4.6 swap and drop a 2.5 turbo into one of the Mk1 Ford Capri's. The old 2.3 is refusing to come out though, I'm getting rather ticked off at it.:frustrated:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts