Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the process of dropping a 85 2.3L Turbo that is stroked and bored to a 2.5 in my 1992 mustang LX with a 4-banger. I have the motor and the turbo and everything I need but I build small/big blocks and have never came across a turbo build. I'm stuck on a few things that or probably really easy but I gotta learn sometimes. Here or the pics followed by my questions. any help would be appreciated.

There is the overview of my setup in the first picture.

In the second picture I have my return oil line that is not pressurized but by the feed. I have this fabricated temp. but does this look ok? I know its long and it does have a loop. Will this WORK?

Third Picture has a couple things im confused about. There is a threaded hole in the side of the block. What goes there? and is the brass fitting on the top right for my oil pressure guage?

Fourth Picture is my upperintake manifold. I cant seem to figure out were these vaccum hoses go. Any ideas? Diagrams?

Fith picture is my o so simple Therm. housing. But were would the 2nd nozzle connect to?

And last but not least the sixth picture is an unknown complonent to me. What is it and how do I hook it up? a picture?

I know these may be pretty ez questions and i feel like a n00b. but first turbo app. planning on dropping in next week. ANY ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL.

Thanks so much please help

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not a svo guy so as to the 2.3L specific stuff I cant be of much service, but as to your last question that is your wastegate. It allows exhaust gasses to bypass the turbo to limit boost to whatever level the spring within the wastegate allows. Do you know what size spring is installed in the wastegate? More then likely its a low lb spring meant to be used with an external manual boost controller...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Third pic: I went and looked on my stock '86 block and there's a pipe plug in the threaded hole. I can't see well enough in the pic, but there are two sensors that reside in that area. One is in the block, the other in the head. IIRC the oil pressure sending unit and the oil feed for the turbo come from the block and the temperature sending unit comes from the head. Both are 1/4" pipe thread.

Fifth pic: That nipple is for the inbound line from the heater core. The outbound hose nipple is on the water pump.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nice motor! That turbo looks like a Holset..........excellent turbo!

2nd pic:
That's your turbo oil feed line. It's gonna be long 'cause it has to reach the turbo. Is the loop necessary? I don't think it'll cause any problems. Here's a pic of mine. It's the braided stainless steel line.
Turbo oil feed line

3rd pic:
Use that threaded hole for your aftermarket water temp gauge bulb. That was the hole for the factory W/T gauge. This is what I used for my oil distribution. The 90* at the top is for turbo oil feed and the straight shot out the end is for the aftermarket oil pressure gauge line.
Oil distribution

4th pic:
You should have a large vac tube on the underside of the upper intake. That connects to your PCV. The large vac tube up topside goes to your vac tree and supplies main engine vacuum. I used the smaller hose to provide vacuum to my AFPR. Also, a hose needs to go to the manifold for fuel vapor recovery from the charcoal canister (smog requirements).

5th pic:
As b_chandler stated, a line goes from your thermostat housing to the heater core inlet, the one closest to the pass side.
Heater inlet
Heater inlet 2

6th pic:
As stated, that's your wastegate. Possibly a Tial. Quality wastegate! A vac line goes from the wastegate to a fitting on the turbo, just before the turbo outlet.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

The thing is is this engine has an oil cooler. so the heater hoses go a different direction. they both go to the back of the block.

And do you know if I can use the vacuum tree off my 92 mustang LX 2.3L?

Thanks so much.

anyone have a simple picture, Im i see and do type of mechanic the first time.

·
Registered
690 Posts
All 2.3 turbos have an oil cooler. The actual heater hoses off the oil cooler are about 5" long. They 90 off the oil cooler and attach to the steel coolant tubes that run behind the back of the block and out to the other side. You need to pick up some coolant tubes off a TC.

Any vacuum tree will work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the coolant tubes. but cant figure out were the other side is suppost to go if the heateater hose goes onto the therm. outlet.
the water pump? and what about the shorter steel hose? it faces straight up on the back of the block to lead were?

·
Registered
690 Posts
OK, I'll try with the pics I have.

The steel line with the white arrow connects to the water pump, runs along the valve cover, wraps around the back of the valve cover to the other side (skinny white arrow shows it wrapping around the valve cover), points down then forward and attaches to a short piece of preformed 90* heater hose that connects to the front port of the oil cooler (white arrow in 2nd pic).

Another tube attaches to a preformed 90* heater hose from the heater core outlet (yellow arrow) and wraps around the back of the block to another preformed 90* heater hose that connects to the rear port of the oil cooler (yellow arrow in 2nd pic).

The third shorter tube (green arrow) runs from the 2nd nipple on the thermostat outlet, along the valve cover to another preformed heater hose that connects to the heater core inlet.

Coolant tubes pass side

Oil cooler ports drivers side

·
Registered
654 Posts
is that an alternator bracket from a ranger? i've heard of them never seen one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
one more question from me, can the charcoal canister see boost? the vacuum diagram from the turbocoupe has the canister routing to the air cleaner, but my n/a stang had it running to the vac tree, i'm assuming the boost would pressurize the gas tank at that point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.