Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i'm new to the forum, first thing i did was a search, but i guess im looking for some tailor made help. i have a 93 2.3 lx fox, i've had it a few years but frankly it just isn't strong enough. i recently came across a 1970 351w that needs a rebuild, my question is where can i get a decent rebuild kit for this motor. My goal is a car that can live on the street, survive on the track, and can run 12-13 in the quarter or better.I've seen stock motor 5.0s do this so i assume a 351 can attain this easily. Also what will i need for the swap once the rebuild is complete. what kind of horses/torque can i expect. On another note im also a full time student so i trying to keep this within 2-2.5K if possible. I need help please..........and thank you.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There are a thousand places to buy a rebuild kit. Jegs, Summit, just to name two of the big names. You will need to beef up the front suspension to hold the extra front end weight, and I suggest using an early AOD trans (the ones that don't require the computer) or a t-5 manual so you can achieve good mileage as well as good responce. 2-2.5k is reasonable if you plan to only go completly stock, and a stock windsor motor is only in the 250-275 hp range. That is assuming that you buy the rebuild kit, have the block machined and do the wrenching yourself. You are GOING to have to buy a new rear end. That is a grand in and of itself. Get a posi with a reasonable gear ratio (3.55 or 3.90's' work well with the AOD) The price range you are looking as isn't going to cover the whole drivetrain swap tho... It is a good number for a fairly stock rebuild (you will prbly afford a good intake/cam carb combo with that money.) My advice? Spend all of your money RIGHT NOW on a stroker kit for the windsor, and build yourself a 400hp monster in your living room or garrage, then when you are out of school, and your can afford the insurance/gas drop it in and go hog-wild.

Those guys with the 302's in the 12-13 range, most likely have either a fuel injected motor, or a well built carbd 302 that won't cost $2-2.5 k to build. I had a stroker 393 windsor in my merc cougar that only ran 13.2-s and it was around 400 horse. (of couse it was a ton heavier than a fox) but that motor in a fox would be a 12 or maybe even less motor. My engine probably cost me around 4k in the end after the alum heads/forged internals, and other goodies.

2k might get you a complete pluck from a 5.0 fox that you can just drop in without rebuilding (including a motor/trans/rear end.) I would go that route if 2k was all I had to work with.

Good luck. Enjoy.
Bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would it be easier to find a 302 efi, or should i test my luck with the 351, i figure if i take my time with this rebuild i should be able to afford a little more than what i listed. and either way im probably starting from scratch both ways, no replacement for displacement is what i hear. what would it take to get to 350-400 and get it to the wheels. how much are we talking.

R

·
0 Posts
so would it be easier to find a 302 efi, or should i test my luck with the 351, i figure if i take my time with this rebuild i should be able to afford a little more than what i listed. and either way im probably starting from scratch both ways, no replacement for displacement is what i hear. what would it take to get to 350-400 and get it to the wheels. how much are we talking.

for what you want 5000-7000 min

·
Registered
786 Posts
for what you want 5000-7000 min
1+++ on what rlg said. 5k in motor is reasonable for a windsor that can produce 400hp. It will require alum heads, forged internals, if N/A, a stroker kit, and some good ol fashoned hp goodies (headers/cam/intake/carb/msd/udp's etc..etc.....etc.... If you are FRUGAL you can achieve it with 5k. I did most of the big work on my stroker motor with the exception of assembly of the shorblock. I installed the heads/intake/cam/headers/carb, and everything. I bought the stroker kit from flatlander racing (google it they are really reasonable) and had my local machine shop assemble the shortblock. I had the block torque plated and punched .30 over, and zero decked, and they had to clearance the skirts for the rods/crank. I think I had 2k in just the shortblock after the stroker kit (kit cost $1400ish) + machine work and assembly(about $600) . So add heads (another $1200) intake ($300) carb ($300) headers ($400) cam ($200) msd ($300ish) you get the picture. So far to the best of my recolection, I had nearly $5k invested before I ever dropped the engine in the bay, then I had the trans to worry about (had to stand up to 400hp, so bought toploader 4spd $500) and rear end-9in posi with 3.73's $800.

Goin fast aint cheap brotha. Unless you know someone or have a buddy who can steal for you :shigrin

If you put in a used but usable efi pluck and goodies with it (find a wrecked gt and do the swap) you have a solid start. Then you can build the motor of your dreams, and it will just drop in in the future. (plus you can sell the 5.0 when the day comes for 2 or 3 hundred)

If it were me, and this was my dream, I would go about it that way if that makes any sence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.