Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 gt and just bought a cobra engine, I didn't know it was a cobra till I went to by spark plugs and I compared them to the ones it had and they are off a cobra so that's why I say its a cobra. Any ways, I bought the motor but before I bought it I turned it on wen it was in the other mustang and it turned on nice and strong. I just finished puting it on my car and now it doesn't want to start up. It cranks and cranks but no start. At times it sounds good like it back fires "pop" but no start. I checked the timing and its correct. It has spark. I checked the fuesable link by the brake booster and its good. Does any one have a clue on how to turn it on? What's the "S" on the vacuum tree by the brake booster for? Is it to "START"? I dnt have it connected cuz the hose tore but I dought its the reason for not turning on, but again im not sure. Thanx.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If that hose is torn, you have a vacuum leak. Your engine won't idle right with that leak, so remove the hose and plug it.

Did you have the distributor out since it was started? If you have, then you could have it one tooth off. This is very easy to do, and yes, I have done it myself. :)

Do you have fuel pressure? Is the fuel pump doing its 2 second prime when you turn the key on? Have you primed the system? By that I mean have you done the 2 second prime cycle about 10 times? This will ensure you have fuel to the rail before you try to start it.

I hesitate to burst your bubble, but I doubt you have a Cobra engine. The previous owner could have put in the plugs that were stock on a Cobra. Is there other evidence that would support your Cobra claim?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cobra engine...

If the engine you just installed is identical to the '92 you took out...it's not a Cobra engine, if, you refer to the '93 Cobra SVT engine. You should be looking at a different upper plenum for starters, but taking the valve cover off on one side would reveal some nice crane factory-installed rollers on top of cast iron GT-40 heads. If you see this, pad yourself on the back, because this engine is totally collectible and rarely available for sale outside a Cobra shell for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the timing! Wen I timed it, I didn't rotate the number one piston on the compression stroke. It was 180° off on the distributer. It turned on very nice. It sounds alot louder than the previous 5.0 I had and runs strong.. I have the 50 series Flowmasters, now it sounds like it has the 40's. Thanx guys for the advise. If u want to see me do some kills donuts, search for "5.0 mustang 666 donuts"- youtube. I was bored.lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts