Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 93 5.0 mustang that is almost bone stock. I was driving down the road the other day and I was driving it hard so I stomped on the gas and it backfired pretty loud and shut down. I pulled off the side of the road and checked the cap, rotor, plugs and wires but didn't see any signs of bad news. After a few times trying to start it I finally got it to fire up and I went straight home. It will start up and run now but it sounds like it's missing. I haven't been brave enough to actually drive it again in case it shuts off and I'm stranded. I have had problems like this with other vehicles fad it was either the distributor, ignition control module, or the rotor button. I am almost certain it is a timing issue but just not sure what it is. The only thing I can think is to have the control module tested or replace the distributor in the car to see if it helps. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you run the codes? Also put a timing light on it and see where its at, Check your plugs. Do the easy things first that dont cost you money that you are just throwing at it as a possible fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the plugs already and everything seemed good. My next step is to check the codes to see if I find anything. I'm waiting on a timing light that someone borrowed from me, hoping he can find it.I'm in the middle of putting a turbo motor together to go in the car so yes I definitely trying not to spend a lot on this motor. Thanks for help I appreciate it. Just trying to see if anybody had similar problems before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the OBD tester on it and I pulled codes B

12 - System cannot raise engine speed above normal idle

21 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor out of range

26 - MAF Sensor signal voltage out of specification or Trans Oil Temp Sensor Signal Voltage out of specification

13 - RPM out of specification during normal idle operation

One thing I did notice is when I ran the Key On Engine Running test the motor shut off right when it started to test everything. I used the tester before and don't remember it shutting off but also didn't see anything in the book about it shutting off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts