Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help deciding weather to make the swap or just have the aod rebuilt. I've started gathering parts to a mild 306 over the winter and then yesterday at Woodward dream cruise the aod got hot and started leaking. I don't mind the aod but hate how the stock shifter has no 2nd gear. Also what year doner car should I look for to get the pedal assembly and trans from if I do swap. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
But the AOD DOES have second gear :p Start in 1, and when you're ready to shift, put the shifter in D then back down to 1 quickly, the gear will lock in second. Then just shift up to D for 3rd, and then OD.

Where is the leak in your AOD comming? It might just be a cooling line, which can be patched up using hydraulic tubing (I currently am running only tubing, no steel lines, to my cooler).

I'm a fan of the AOD, mostly because of how customizable it is. Plus, it's much easier to find a used AOD to replace the old one if it is blown than to do the T5 swap.

If you're hell bent on doing the swap though, I used the pedal assy. on an 89 when I took it off of my 86 for the T5 to AOD swap (direct bolt on), so I think any fox manual should be a good donor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'.ve heard of the aod shuffle, but also heard it will kill the tranny never tried it.

It is leaking out of the front seal I think, it was driping out right at the bellhousing. I got lucky and drove it over an hour to get home after toping off the fluid, but now it does not move infill about 2500 rpm.

I would like to keep the aod, just not sure how it will hold up and what it takes to have controle of all the gears without having to do the shuffle. Will an aftermarket shifter work? Or do I need to have it rebuilt with different internal parts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nah, you could get a shift kit that will change at which point the gears will shift. I hear your with the second gear thing, the AODs stock 2nd gear sucks. Unless you're putting 500hp+, you don't need to get into the internals. The most would be to remove the valve body and change the springs in the accumulator (softer spring for harder shift, and vica versa).

The 1-d-1 shuffle is not the greatest for the tranny, but...it's just like a solenoid shifted tranny. It choose the shift points, just restricting fluid flow to certain areas until you shift and let the fluid do the shifting. But when you only shift like that for a race, or to have fun, it won't do any to the tranny. I've been driving a few around like that for years, with no probs. Just get a cooler though, cause it heats up the tranny some, and heat is the #1killer.

If you're pulling the tranny out anyways, and are going to keep the AOD, do a lil research on torque converters, and find out if maybe even adding a 2400 or 2800 stall converter would be something you'd enjoy in your car.

Now if the tranny is not shifting, is there a whinning noise comming from it? Odds are the pump is gone on it, had that happen on one of mine. It was cheaper for me to find a used AOD than to get it rebuilt (I bought a used one with bad clutches and changed the pump out, but I had to reshim everything).

If there's NO noise, I would check the valve body first. Just drop the pan, remove the tranny filter and there it is. Try moving all the valves with a small screwdriver. A few of the AODs I've repaired and play with had some valves that were sticking, causing a lock in a certain gear, not shifting into others, or higher pressure to shift. If they don't return, or are hard to move, that's most likely where the problems are. Sometimes the spools warp from staying in gear during 1d1 too long, sometimes dirt gets in there and holds up a spool, and sometimes the spools get scored. Having said all this, if it's just a paper seal on the pump, and one of the valves is sticking, it won't cost very much to get it all fixed up vs rebuilding or buying a new tranny. Plus you'll understand your go-goer a little better :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
People under estimated the AOD.. with todays knowledge andf technological advances and AOD transmission can surpass a T-5/T-45 and even a T-56 with a proper rebuild kit, proper stall converter and what not. I personally love driving a 5-speed mustang but the AOD/C-4/C-6 trannies will always shift faster. Plus most people are always trying to rid of their AOD's for cheap.... Just a though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts