Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 GT 5.0, just bolt-ons
T-5

My engine has started cutting out (I don't know what the official term is). It completely stops firing for a second and then comes back. When it does, the tachometer drops immediately. Here is a video I took:
5.0 Cutting Out - YouTube

When it first started it would only happen under load, but it has gotten worse. Now it will do it throughout the RPM range and without the engine being under load. It seems that the engine has to warm up before it happens, though. The only codes it throws are lean on both sides, but it was doing that before this problem. It was cutting out during the KOER test, but still no additional codes. The way the tach just drops tells me that it is ignition related and not fuel.

After searching around, I see that common causes of this problem are the ignition module (TFI?) and the coil pickup (PIP?). Is there any way to test these parts before I just start buying stuff?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Still sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Does it cut out at wide open throttle, under load?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar circumstance and it was the ignition control module. But, mine was only able to re start one more time before it completely went out. So if you are able to keep restarting the car it may be different.

Plus side, the ignition control module is going to go out at some point in time as it is a common issue after 100k and it sucks to be broke down on the side of the road for a $40 part. I would just go get it at JEGS, plug it in and see if that solves your problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most auto parts stores can load test you TFI module, I dont think there is a way to test the PIP but I may be wrong. Lean... well thats another issue and should be addressed as thats not good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this sort of illustrates the problem. Some people say ignition module, some say pickup, some say something else. The ignition module $50, the pickup is $30. If I guess wrong, then I have to buy the other one too. By that time I might as well buy the whole distributor for $100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts