Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have BBK underdrive pulley's, no a.c. (no eliminator pulley, totally bipassed), no smog pump ( have smog pump eliminator pulley).
Also an electric fan.
The fan is constantly running due to the underdrives, and the alternator has a hard time keeping up because the fan runs so much etc.....

Anyways, I want to put my stock pulleys back on the alternator, and water pump, and keep the underdrive on the crank.

Is there a special tool that I need to take the pulley's off and on?

Is there a method or trick in determining the right belt size after the pulley change, besides trying a bunch of belts?

Thanks for the help!

1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / 24 lb. Injectors / Stock Ignition / MSD EFI Blaster Coil / Edelbrock 5.0 Upper and Lower Intake with BBK Phelonic Spacer / Professional Products 70mm Throttle Body / C&L C.A.I. w/76mm MAF / Stock Air Box w/K&N Panel Filter / Holley Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator / Electric Fan / BBK Underdrive Pulley's / A.C. Removed / BBK Short Headers / Flowmaster Exhaust / Tremec T-5Z / B&M Short Throw Shifter / Alum. Driveshaft / 3.73 Gears / Eaton H.D. Posi / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / Line Lock / Driveshaft Loop / B&M Short Throw Shifter / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/ Holley 190 lph Fuel Pump /

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,You will need an impact gun to get the alternator pulley off.I didn't have one so I didn't put the alternator pulley on.The water pump pulley is held on with 4 bolts that I think are 10mm or 11mm in size.To determine the belt size this is what I did.I took some string and wrapped it around the pulleys until it touched the end and measured the length.You could also cut your old belt and run it around the pulleys and then measure to see how much of the belt wrapped around pulleys.Remember to have your belt tensioner up to get the propper length

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
X2 with lx5...be sure to have the right belt path when measuring!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
There's two ways you could route the belt, when you measure and go get a belt make sure you go back the way you measured. The lengths I found out can be different.
And the best thing to use would be an impact wrench but you'd really do better keeping the stock pulley on the alternator, putting the larger pulley on will only slow the alternator down and exacerbate the charging situation. You can put the stock water pump pulley back on and use only the underdrive crank pulley if you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.