Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't posted in a very long time.
I bought my car about a month ago and I have a few questions I am hoping people can help me with.
About car: 1993 Mustang LX 2.3 Coupe Red Automatic pw ps pl
Things I have replaced to date (within past month): fuel pump/sending unit, fuel filter, plugs and wires, oil and filter, door hinge pins.

The car was broken into last night, but fortunately they couldn't steal it. They did manage to break the door handle, the ignition lock, the shifter, and made off with the stock radio (why you would want to steal an 18 year old cassette player is beyond me)

First I was looking at the ignition lock. Obviously I have researched other threads, just looking for clarification. All I need to do is remove the bezel around the column, and there is a pin on the lock cylinder I push in and the cylinder will slide out?
Also, I was thinking of adding a switch to the power line that connects to the key and hiding it out of site, just in case someone could try to start it, if I had the switch off, maybe this could prevent it from starting, or is there another power line I could connect the switch to to get the same result?

Also, on the shifter, the handle was broken. Does anyone know where I could find a new oem replacement?

And, the driver door lock will not lock, when I push it down it just stays in place. I think it is just the actuator, but are there any other possibilities?

Finally, one thing I really cannot figure out is the smell of gas. I replaced the sending unit on the tank, the grommet for the filler tube, and the grommet for the fume exhaust, but when I turn left, I can briefly smell gas. I see no visible leaks anywhere, so I do not understand it.

I have other questions but I do not want to overload the forum on one post. I appreciate any help! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You're pretty much spot on with the ignition cylinder.

You're probably going to have to find a used shifter to replace yours. Ebay, junkyard, etc.

Somebody must have a collection of Def Leppard and MC Hammer cassette singles and nothing to play them with :) It's the only reason I can think of to steal a cassette deck.

Pull the door panel off and take a look at the lock rods. One of them has most likely been knocked off. They'll be down there just behind the latch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem with gas smell was just the gas cap. Simple enough.
Door wouldn't lock because of actuator so I just took it off until I can get a replacement.

Problem I had was yesterday on my way home from work on the highway the car just shut off on me. Cut the fuel. After I managed to get it to the side of the road, it wouldn't start again for 20 minutes.

I'm tracing the problem to the IRCM, i.e. the relay for the fuel pump. Does anyone know if it is possible to take a relay from a pre-IRCM car and wire it in to sort of bypass the IRCM? I can't afford a new IRCM, and I kind of think it was dumb of Ford to put all of the relays together in one module.

Thanks for the input

1 - 3 of 3 Posts