Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Mustang Notchback with the 2.3 Automatic.. I have replaced pretty much everything (including the motor and trans in Dec '08'). The only thing I modified on it was the air intake.. I opened up the air silencer (The part inbetween the TB and the Filter box) and installed a K&N air filter. The car ran really great for a few weeks, but now I have No power and she's sucking gas like crazy.... I can smell that its running super rich, but I have no check engine lights, and its not smoking at all.. I just filled it full with Gas and I only have 60 miles on the tank and its already burned a half tank out. Anyone have any idea's on what might be causing this? I checked everything out, and I am baffled..I don't even have any codes in the system... But she's drinking more than a winer at a bar, and Grandma in her wheel chair can out run me... Im confused....:headscratch:

·
Registered
563 Posts
so you've check with a scanner or manually to see if there were codes right? or are you just saying you dont have codes because the "idiot" light isnt on?

also when you drive it, is it some what jumpy? like real rough idling?
*sound like to me maybe your Oxygen Sensor is going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I phisically checked for codes and got nothing out of it, it runs smooth and isn't jumping at all. Starts right up first time everytime, idle jumps right up to 1,800 and drops right down to 700 and stays steady and smooth, it just has no power on take off or when you kick it into passing gear, and I have to hold the throttle about half way to keep the car at speed on the road.. smells really really rich, but no smoke at all and guzzling gas like crazy (60 miles to half a tank). I replaced the O2 twice in the last 8 months most recent was this weekend, I hoped it would fix it, but nada... I also did a "Full tune up" everything after I replaced the motor in December 08. I checked to see if I had any leaks from the injectors or the rail or lines and its dry, also my oil is clean as well as the coolant, everything seems ok..I even checked the MAF and its clean and all the electrical wires and connectors are in great shape.. I don't get it..:headscratch:

·
Registered
563 Posts
have you checked the voltage of the MAF to see if it is in range. it can be clean and look great but it can really be bad. and as you are saying give you really bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it took me so long, I am just now able to get on my computer. Anyways, I tested my MAF at the connection and using my book to locate the wires, I got the following readings from it.. At normal Idle on the first set of pins I have a steady 12v reading, on the second set of pins I show a .6v reading which I think is pretty much normal. I checked for codes again and still not showing anything at all, just a code 11 which in my book for the EEC-IV system, tells me "system ok testing complete" But its not ok, Im getting less than 8 miles a gallon and the fumes are so strong it burns your eyes and throat...:so Im out of ideas....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.