Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently own a 1993 hatch 2.3 lx (first car). I've put about 25000 km on it since I bought it at the end of August. Recently it has been giving me problems and I can't seem to find what it is.

The car seems to intermittently run on 3 cylinders. It has progressively gotten worse over the past couple days, to the point where it starts doing it as soon as it warms up now. It looses power and misfires terribly under load. The tach reads half of what it actually is and hits rev limiter at 3000 rpm.

I replaced the spark plugs today (old ones were original with about a 1/8" gap hoping I would get lucky. The car ran good for longer than it usually does but then went back to running on 3 cyl.

I unplugged each coil pack individually (dual ignition) and disconnected wires on the working coilpack to see which cylinder wasn't firing. Number 1 cyl wasn't firing at all and number 2 spark plug on the drivers side bank wasnt firing.

Ive been on forums all night looking for a similar problem but haven't found a unanimous solution. I have read that it could be poor fuel pressure which might mean that I need a new ccrm because the fuel pump has two stages. One for running and one for priming (I can hear the priming stage). I have also read that it could be my coil packs, or my TPS, or my MAS, ICM, etc.

I thought I might start my own thread before I go out and spend a bunch of money on parts I might not even need.

I'm only 17 looking for a cheap solution so I can go cruising again - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Garrett

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I would say ICM because you said tach is only reading half but I would run codes to check.

Doesn't sound like a fuel problem to me as that wouldn't cause one cylinder to go down and keep the rest firing.

If you do replace the ICM make sure to use all the bolts and use a heat-conductive paste (not di-electric grease) on the back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts