Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 93 LX. It was missing through the drive ranges and idleing kind of rough. I found that two of the plug wires were reversed on one side and that they had installed the wrong plugs. I fixed all of that; but, it still has very little power. as long as I'm on flat ground, it does alright, but any incline just zaps it! yesterday while letting it idle, I reved it up some and is spit and sputtered a few times but still idles fine. Ive replaced plugs, wires, fuel and air filter........what next?:wavey

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
cap and rotor, id seafoam it good too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
fair warning though, i've had my 2.3 stang for almost 3 years now, and hills have always pretty much killed it. it's not anything wrong with it, they just dont have any horsepower. get used to the lack unless you want to turbo it. a little better breathing in and out helps a little, but don't go too big. i still have 2" pipes through the whole thing and a 2.25" muffler. it sounds better now, but still barely outruns a metro...

·
Registered
164 Posts
You need to drive mine 93 2.3 will easily run 110+ Only mods
are exaust after first cat 2.5 inch to y pipe 2.5 duals with hi flo
muflers like an svo and removed air silencer used black abs pipe
and rubber cuplers pulls good to the rev limiter and gets 30 mpg at 80

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I put an OBD I scanner on it yesterday. Got a 157, 158 KOEO reading and a 998, 157 KOER reading. New MAF sensor should arrive in a couple days. Hopefully will fix the issue.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good point chandler they will set codes when dirty
use a tamper proof torqx bit and pull out the sensor
and spray it off with carb spray clean the throttle body two
the sensor will look like it has fur on it before cleaning

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled it off and cleaned it with contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Put it back together and symptoms remained. Just for giggles, I unplugged it while motor running and it didn't die like it was suppose to either. New one should arrive today; hopefully will fix the problem.
Now, I poured some motor flush in it. Went to remove the drain plug and guess what........someone has completely rounded the dang thing!! I can't get vice grips or anything to work!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, now that the issue with the MAF is resolved; car runs much better. BUT, now I am getting a 332 code in the memory codes. EGR flow less than expected. Funny thing is, it has a new EGR and sensor. What else might cause this? vacuum lines look like they are in good shape etc.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Now, I poured some motor flush in it. Went to remove the drain plug and guess what........someone has completely rounded the dang thing!! I can't get vice grips or anything to work!!
Oh boy! How in the world are you going to change your oil? This is definately something you are going to have to fix right away. I was thinking you could weld a new bolt to the old head, but there is still oil in the pan, so I am not sure if that is a viable option???

Steve:?:

·
0 Posts
I pulled it off and cleaned it with contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Put it back together and symptoms remained. Just for giggles, I unplugged it while motor running and it didn't die like it was suppose to either. New one should arrive today; hopefully will fix the problem.
Go to Sears, Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts.

Craftsman and Irwin tools both make a set of special sockets that have fluted surfaces inside that bite into rounded fasteners to remove them. They're $30 per set either place, but absolutely worth it. I've yet to find a fastener so rounded off I couldn't remove it with my set from Irwin, my dad says the same about his Craftsman set. We actually bought the first set for the SAME reason, oil drain plug in his 1977 Capri was completely rounded off the first time we went to do the oil change and vice grips were making it worse.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Steve welding a bolt or nut on the drain plug will work fine even when there is oil in it.
Thanks, man, I was wondering about that. I guess there's no air in the engine to ignite the oil. Engine oil can be lit on fire, right? And what about synthetic?

Steve:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
478 Posts
Man, UAB, I feel for you.
I know what it is like to take possession of a car after a home tinker has messed it up.
I'm glad you're making such progress.

I never had a EFI 2.3 N/A before. I know with the carb ones that power definitely wasn't there. But they took abuse. And it took me awhile to realize what a good carb the Holly/Motorcraft 5200 was. No power but it would start at the touch of a key like a fuel injected vehicle.

I'll try to remember to check on this thread to get more hints about stuff to do to the old Pinto engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go to Sears, Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts.

Craftsman and Irwin tools both make a set of special sockets that have fluted surfaces inside that bite into rounded fasteners to remove them. They're $30 per set either place, but absolutely worth it. I've yet to find a fastener so rounded off I couldn't remove it with my set from Irwin, my dad says the same about his Craftsman set. We actually bought the first set for the SAME reason, oil drain plug in his 1977 Capri was completely rounded off the first time we went to do the oil change and vice grips were making it worse.
ABSOLUTELY the best $30 I have ever spent! Just tapped it on with a small hammer and.... whala! the rifled interior of the socket bites down more as it turns on the head! Spun it right out!:bounce2:
Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, UAB, I feel for you.
I know what it is like to take possession of a car after a home tinker has messed it up.
I'm glad you're making such progress.

I never had a EFI 2.3 N/A before. I know with the carb ones that power definitely wasn't there. But they took abuse. And it took me awhile to realize what a good carb the Holly/Motorcraft 5200 was. No power but it would start at the touch of a key like a fuel injected vehicle.

I'll try to remember to check on this thread to get more hints about stuff to do to the old Pinto engine.
Yep........I just don't think I can get out of my 5.4 Lariat into the mustang and put around. Looking at the mods it takes to really increase the HP of the 2.3L; I think it's cheaper to buy a wrecked ford with a 5.0 (Late 80's early 90"s truck, crown Vic or Cougar) and transplant it.:to_cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.