Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I hope i'm posting this in the correct spot, I have a few questions about making more power out of a 1993 302 block. I am new to these threads and here is my story: I have a 1993 Ford 302 engine that needs rebuilt so i decided while it was out, i would do a cheap build for reaching the 300-350 hp goal. I was wondering how hard that would be on a $1,500 dollar budget. I need to know things like choices for cams/heads/intake etc. I plan on putting it into an older Fox Body for a nice street/strip car. If i have not mentioned, I am a rookie, i'm still in high school and its my first build so any advice will help! Thanks everyone!

·
Banned
480 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Great stuff up there ^ :bigthumbsup

300 HP can probably be done for $1500... But that is cutting it close, you will have to be very penny wise, and assuming a lot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You are probably better off finding a used motor unless you just want the expierence of a rebuild. For my car I picked up a low mile 302 bottom with trick flow heads on it already for 900 bucks. I got lucky and found a guy that just put a 347 in. All I did was add a tfs1 cam and track heat manifold all said and done I was under 1500 and the thing runs like a raped ape

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a higher mileage engine (170,xxx) and i did not want to put money into something that's going to crap out any minute, That's why it needs rebuilt. Also i need the experience because its my hobby. I plan to race with my buddy who has a 12 second firebird so i want to be able to give him a run for his money. Hope that answers your question

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well you wanna run 12's huh....the secret is in suspension and learning how to drive.

Where did that motor come out of?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well, huge ass,
I'm still laughing over this...I didn't know if this guy was serious or not. Like Ben Dover or something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just spent $2,000 on a bone stock rebuild but everything is new with a 1yr warranty. I feel cheated now....lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I just spent $2,000 on a bone stock rebuild but everything is new with a 1yr warranty. I feel cheated now....lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You paid for labor and that is the killer in budget builds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know! Money well spent and it came with a 1yr warranty. Hopefully I wont ever have to use it

sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've got about 3k in a build im doing for my truck currently..

stock 302 short block
Trick Flow 170CC 58cc chamber Track heat heads
comp cam XE264 cam
Shorty headers
stock truck intake..

the 3k includes all the bolts, roller lifters, push rods, roller rockers, gasket set shipping of the short block.. and some other stuff..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Someones lightly used build will get you furthest.

I picked up a motor for my car.. 306 with about 2000 miles on it. Edelbrock heads, e303 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, keith black pistons, etc for $1600.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
My build

Im not sure how old this thread is, but im working on my 1991 5.0 if I have been looking at the x303 cam, not sure everything I need to match to it. If someone has some knowledge on this let me know. I have been looking heads right now but not sure what to go with. I know that if I use my stock heads I will definitely have to replace the springs, rods and everything. Anyone help. Im more of the BODY GUY lol... Hit me up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts