Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 93 mustang 302 that i changed the valve cover seals/spark plugs/wires on, and now it will crnak but not start. i checked the firing sequence, and all vacuum lines. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
did you disconnect any wiring? still have voltage to the coil while cranking? did you change anything with the distributor?(timing, etc)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Pull the SPOUT out and see if it fires then. More than likely the TFI went Kaput, or the Pick up Coil is Kaput. This is all assuming you have everything else correct

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the throttle body and plenum so I could gain access to the valve covers. The only wires/harnesses I removed were the ones for the throttle body/egr, and cold air intake. I have checked all of those to make sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked and I am getting voltage to the coil and did not change anything with the timing. it does backfire if I try to give it gas when starting it, but i have triple checked the firing sequence according to the manuals.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Backfiring is more times than not a timing or firing order issue. If its back firing, its sparking......... So unless you have a major vacuum leak, you need to make sure the firing order is 13726548

cylinders are
back
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Front

And make sure they are on the Cap the same way they come off, which if its wrong then you have already forgotten the correct location. You can try walking all the plug wires one spot left from where they are now, if that doesnt work. Walk them one spot right from the spot they were from the original spot before you walked them to the left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the manual to verify the locations for the wires, and tried moving them 1 spot in either direction, but still no joy. i can't see any lines disconnected to give me a vacuum leak. would the EGR being bad cause it to backfire and not start?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Make sure the EGR doesnt have a Vacuum line ran straight off the manifold. It should go to the solenoid first.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
find ur #1 cylinder tdc, and then start with the wires in the order 89 gave u. What I do is to get #1 tdc and then take out dist and put it back in with rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder and go around from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '93 Mustang convertible 5.0. It has been garaged for a long time and has 20K miles on it. Normally, I start it and allow it to run for a while, but the last time I tried to start it, she would not start and run. I haven't begun to troubleshoot the problem. I suspect the fuel pump, but I'm not familiar with common problems of this model. :?: Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Make sure you have spark first.

Do you here the fuel pump prime? May have to get by the gas tank and let someone turn the key on so you can listen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure you have spark first.

Do you here the fuel pump prime? May have to get by the gas tank and let someone turn the key on so you can listen.
Thanks, 89Coupe. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet. Just trying to get some ideas about the best place to start and the most likely cause of the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.