Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 lx and the dash lights will come on and off at their own will or when ever you hit a bump. when this happens the turn signal lights will stay on and the bright light will stay on and the wipers will not work. when this happens the dimmer switch will raise and lower the tach a bit and the oil light will dim on and off. I have no clue if it is a short or a faulty regulator. If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I'll move this to a forum where you'll get answers to your question.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 1993 lx and the dash lights will come on and off at their own will or when ever you hit a bump. when this happens the turn signal lights will stay on and the bright light will stay on and the wipers will not work. when this happens the dimmer switch will raise and lower the tach a bit and the oil light will dim on and off. I have no clue if it is a short or a faulty regulator. If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them.
I have had stuff like this happen on older cars when my alternator was ready to die.... replaced and it was fine.
I am no mechanic though... so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is just ideas...

Could the turnsignal/dimmer/wiper control be messed up?

I dont know about these cars but the 60's and early 70's mustangs I have had when the headlight switch went bad, so did a whole bunch of other crap at one time. Changed the switch and everything would work great again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at least I have two ideas on where to start for now thanks! I could see the problem being either one of them.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It might not hurt to tear apart the steering column and inspect / replace the multifunction switch (the stick with the turn signal, wipers, etc. on it).

Also, the headlight switch might be worth investigating as well.

You do not say, but I am assuming that you are not blowing any fuses, which would lead me to lean toward the conclusion that it is either a component part (like one of the switches) failing or a factory-style connection coming loose in some way as opposed to a wire that has been rubbed bare and is grounding out somewhere.

Basically, you are going to have to just start inspecting stuff. Search for any loose harness plugs. Look for any individual wires pulling out from the plugs. Look for any melted wiring around the various switches. Gotta start somewhere...

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The main thing is you found the problem. :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.