Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 93 GT with a newly rebuilt motor which is mostly stock. I was thinking about new heads, intake and throttle body on it, but from what I've read and heard, if I do that, it's cheaper to just get an entire kit and go ahead and upgrade the crank and rockers, etc. So, I was thinking about a kit such as this one:

Mustang 87-93 Top End Engine Kit, Typhoon Efi Intake, Patriot Heads, & Tfs Stage 1 Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

What I want is a daily 12 Sec. driver that doesn't suck to much fuel. (If thats possible) Therefore, I don't want to change the stock injectors or go to a larger fuel pump.

Will the stock injectors handle all these mods or a kit such as Holley's SystemMax? If so, how much extra fuel consumption will it cost me? If anyone has any info on Typhoon's kit please let me know your opinion on it.

My current mods are:

3.73 gears
Headers
Flowmasters
Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates
Adjustable Clutch Quadrant
Fireball Ps91 Performace Coil

Many Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
the stock fuel pump is only 88lph thats not that much and a for a 12sec car id say ur gonna need more fuel i have the trick flow street burner intake tfs stage 1 cam and gt40p heads and i run 24lb inj and a 255lph fuel pump the diff was like nite and day compared to the 19lbrs

·
Registered
26 Posts
The stock injectors will handle it. You will get richer air, that is more o2, with a higher flow intake. Fuel will burn hotter. At some point in combustion you would need more fuel, but unless you want to run a lot more torque to the rear wheels I would stay with the 19lbs for now. Fuel injectors are what I call a cascade upgrade. Meaning if you upgrade the fuel injectors then you have to upgrade the fuel pump, mass air meter, and possibly the fuel rails and fuel lines. I'm not too sure.

G

·
What I want is a daily 12 Sec. driver that doesn't suck to much fuel. (If thats possible) Therefore, I don't want to change the stock injectors or go to a larger fuel pump.

Based on what you have planned if you don't changed the fuel pump & injectors.....

sucking gas will be the least of your problem when the motor leans out from fuel starvation.......

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
To make more power, you have to increase the fuel... no way around that. More power requires a bigger explosion in the chamber and you do that with more air and fuel. Increase the air without equal fuel, that's a BAD idea.

If you want that budget kit, the 19 pound injectors will still be enough but you'll be HIGHLY recommended to upgrade the fuel pump from an 88 lph to at least a 155 or maybe a 190. Then you'll also be highly recommended to upgrade to an adjustable fuel regulator that'll allow you to maximize the 19s. If you upgrade the power without upgrading the fuel system at all, it'll go lean and you'll be blowing head gaskets. The stock 88 lph pump is barely enough for a stock 5.0.

As for 12s, it isn't just power that does it. There's a guy here with only 251 hp and he runs 12s all day long. What suspension you plan on using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I can see that all those mods are not the way I want to go. Eagleautosports I was looking at a "Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Strut & Shock Kit" for the suspension. I definitely want a smoother ride that handles bumps well. I do have some adjustable caster camber plates already and have a Cold air intake on order.

Any suggestions for my suspension or other mods I can make to break into the 12's without increasing fuel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.