Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I bought my 1993 GT w/ 93K miles. The previous owner told me it's got ported and polished heads. And by the way the car lopes at idle, it's got a more aggressive cam in it too. These engine mods necessitated an upgrade to 24-lb. injectors. Are these engine mods that require fuel of a greater octane than the lowest level of 87 central Indiana has to offer? Or, and I'm not sure about this, could the tune be tweaked by a laptop on different octanes?
Plus, this car was built for the 1320 because the rear-end gear is very short. It's something I failed to ask the owner at purchase. Would you recommend calling the owner or is there a way to find out what rear-end gear the car has without turning any wrenches?
Thank you guys. This Mustang is a LOT different than the Ford Probe I used to own.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
It would be nice to know what the rear gear was, just to have that info.

As fas a the octane gas, if your not getting any detination, I wouldn worry about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand about the rear gear.
ok. does the 93 come with a knock sensor? (i'm looking for a factory service manual, but can't find one. the haynes manual does not have in-depth engine illustrations and information like I am looking for...)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
no it doesnt have a knock sensor.

when you put 87 octane in and you done hear the motor ping when you get on it, then 87 is ok to run. most of the time there is no need to up the octane until you start messing with the timing and other stuff.

if the owner cant give the the rear gear information, there is a video showing you how you can tell what the rear gear is by just jacking the car up on jack stands. maybe somebody on here knows where the video is, i dont have the link to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. thank you! i'm happy to say there's no pinging when i step on the gas pedal!
don't you also have to consider what octane gas to use when you modify the compression? to keep the A/F ratio safe?
i called the owner & he thinks it's got a 3.73. would the video be on youtube?

·
Registered
708 Posts
i understand about the rear gear.
ok. does the 93 come with a knock sensor? (i'm looking for a factory service manual, but can't find one. the haynes manual does not have in-depth engine illustrations and information like I am looking for...)
Check out Helminc.com for the factory service manual.
I got one for my 89 and it was only $26 + shipping.
I see the same manuals on ebay for $59+

http://helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.