Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T5 wont go into gear!!

I have a 93 GT and I cant get it into any gear not even neutral. I mean its stuck in 4th and I cant budge it. I believe the clutch is fine.......its not even 10 mnths old. Ive adjusted it but, it didnt help. It has a hurst shifter which was in car when I bought it. Could linkage be bent? Loose? or something simple? Or should I accept the worst......may need new tranny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whoa... It wont slide out of 4th with the car off? :headscratch: There should be no pressure on the input shaft to hold it in gear. I'd say its most deff something up in the gearbox itself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
this happened to my 95. the keys in the transmission most likely broke off. i would be looking at doing a tranny rebuild if i were you. best of luck to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your tranny is messed up i would suggest gettin a Tremec tko600, or t56, if ur budget allows, or do like i did and get a Tremec Tr-3550 out of a 03-04 GT i believe, at ur local junkyard i got mine practically new from a buddy for pretty cheap and it feels way better than the t5 and isnt much heavier. all u need to do is get a bellhousing for $200 cut the welds on the crossmember so u can move the bushings ( tremecs are a bit longer) and put it in ive been beating mine up almost everyday and its seen et streets at the track too. its rated for 375 Ft/lbs i do believe.

·
Registered
552 Posts
my 99 v6 did the same thing..

first my reverse went out, then about 2 weeks later it got stuck in gear.. flat surface so i roller it back and forth and everything and got it out

then my 1st and 2nd wasnt there.. it wouldnt go that far over.. and i didnt have reverse

SOO.. i got one from a v8 and new bell housing solved problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...I really appreciate the help......If I was to get tranny out of 03-04 gt.....since its longer than t5....Id have to also get driveshaft shortened right? Well, Ill have to park it till I get the money to rebuild or buy one.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have a 93 GT and I cant get it into any gear not even neutral. I mean its stuck in 4th and I cant budge it. I believe the clutch is fine.......its not even 10 mnths old. Ive adjusted it but, it didnt help. It has a hurst shifter which was in car when I bought it. Could linkage be bent? Loose? or something simple? Or should I accept the worst......may need new tranny

My best educated guess is a broken 3/4 shift fork. The T5 is what we call a single rail linkage system. That means there is 1 main rail that runs thru the transmission and the shift forks hang off of this 1 rail. A TKO and 3650 (2001-newer mustangs) use a multi rail linkage system which means there are 3 main rails in the main case and 1 more than runs thru the tail housing.
The easiest and cheapest solution would be to buy a rebuild kit for it and either rebuild it yourself, or take it out of the car and give it to a tranny shop to rebuild for you. The most expense of a rebuild comes when they (the shop) has to R & R the tranny from the car. If you take it out and drop it off yourself, you'll save money. :bigthumbsup
You buy a new rebuild kit and even shift forks for under $300 from The Gear Box. T5 Transmissions . :bigthumbsup

89stangbanger...the tranny you got from the '03-'04 stang was a 3650, not a 3550. The 3550 was the old truck transmission and is what the TKO's are based off of. They never came stock from the factory in the stang. :bigthumbsup
The 3650 came in around the middle of 2000 and is in the mustangs to this day. They originally hooked up to the modular 4.6 and 5.4 liter motors. They are rated at 360ft/lbs but are prone to breaking.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.