Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 GT is having the all-too-common headlight shorting issue: For a while, the headlights would occasionally cut off. The would come back on if I wiggled the dimmer switch (the turn signal stalk). But now, they only come on if I hold back on the stalk.

From reading the old threads, it seems that the multi-function switch is the issue. I have also read the Corral's article on re-wiring the headlight switch to prevent overloading the wires.

My question is, has anyone used the repair kits from Mustangs Unlimited? (CJ Pony Parts has them also)
Multi-function repair harness
Headlight repair harness

Do these kits fix the problem without replacing the entire multi-function switch? Do they alleviate the problems with the wires overloading?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Good question would like to see the answer to this!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I got one, it wasn't from Mustangs Unlimited but it was from the Ford dealer parts counter.

The problem is the switch, and if it's not addressed it'll damage the harness and wires further. It may have been the wires that messed up the switch but if it's not working right, you can't get just a new harness pigtail and everything will work again. You need a new switch as well, because this kills the switch. An used switch is not what you should get. The wiring fix could help to keep it from happening again, but you will have to bite the bullet and buy a new switch unless you want the same problem again. The switch has around a 15-17 year life span so if you get an used one, it's already at the end of it's life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got one, it wasn't from Mustangs Unlimited but it was from the Ford dealer parts counter.

The problem is the switch, and if it's not addressed it'll damage the harness and wires further. It may have been the wires that messed up the switch but if it's not working right, you can't get just a new harness pigtail and everything will work again. You need a new switch as well, because this kills the switch. An used switch is not what you should get. The wiring fix could help to keep it from happening again, but you will have to bite the bullet and buy a new switch unless you want the same problem again. The switch has around a 15-17 year life span so if you get an used one, it's already at the end of it's life.
Are you talking about the headlight switch on the instrument panel or the multifunction switch (stalk)? If you're talking about the multifunction switch, I can second that don't buy used switches thing. I have replaced mine with a bad switch three times, and the lights work, but the windshield wipers don't. :nogrinner Unless there is something we are missing with diagnosis, the problem goes back to the switch. :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i have had a very sililar problem with my gt fog lights..they work fine for about 15 minutes then the headlight/fog light switch gets hot and shuts my heads and fogs down. i took the headlight/foglight switch out and the connector is actually melted! im ordering a new one from LRS

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Yes, I was talking about the turn signal switch. But really, I wouldn't get either switch used. If I intend on keeping the car, it deserves a new switch is my thinking.

That's what happened to me, I was smelling it melting and the whole left side of the instrument pod was hot. I think it was the yellow wire that caused it to melt, it overheated and burnt, killing the switch. It knocked out my lights right in the middle of a turn on a mountain road with cars meeting me in the curve. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I was talking about the turn signal switch. But really, I wouldn't get either switch used. If I intend on keeping the car, it deserves a new switch is my thinking.
I totally agree with that, but it's one thing when you're talking about the $25 headlight switch, but that multifunction is a pretty expensive item, especially if you want the real thing, and not an aftermarket knockoff. When I had a mechanic diagnose the switch issue, he priced one from Ford for $199. That's a little rich for my salary. :laugh: I think I'll go price a knockoff. :gringreen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.