Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 1993 5.0 mustang.

I'm trying to figure out what heads are on my motor. All i can find is a thing on the side that says .002 which can be seen in the picture I'm attaching. Are these stock heads or aftermarket? Any ways of telling? Also if there stock heads will those Comp Cam 1.7 roller rockers work with those heads? I know the cam is not stock because it lopes like crazy. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm only 16 and just know basic stuff about mustangs not a motor builder!

Thanks for any help!

Oh yeah.. I cut the picture in half because you couldn't see anything else on the head anyways other than what you see here.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
you cant really tell much from the pic other than it has comp cam rollers in it. did you put those in or did they come with the car. as for the 002 its a stamp of some sort to tell what the part is or where it goes.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's a date code and it looks like it might be 0C2 instead of 002.

0C2 = March 2, 19n0

Other than that, that picture is useless to figure out what the heads are. If it's a factory Ford head there are other casting marks on it, but not within the vicinity of what is pictured. The engineering number is on the underside of the intake ports. If it's a GT-40 or GT-40P head, there will be three or four bars cast into the forward and rearward ends of the head, and a GT/GTP cast near the #1/#8 spark plug.

I see the rockers are stud-mount. No factory Ford head after '78 was stud-mount.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car came with those in it.
So the head could be a stock head from 1990 or a pre 1978 head?
Because I was told that this was a 351w when i bought it but i knew it wasn't by the victor jr. 302 intake and when i changed the rear seal. My friend said it was a latemodel roller 302. Does the stud mount rockers mean its an old school 302? Sorry for all the questions.

thx for the replys! :bigthumbsup

R

·
0 Posts
to help you we need a better pic......

that really doesn't show much...

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Those heads have been modified so there's no way to tell what they are from that picture. I can tell the springs are aftermarket, those are Comp Cams Magnum roller rockers and on stud mounts, and even ARP bolts. Just because they're stud mount doesn't indicate what year they are because you can take later model heads and drill/tap them for studs.

What would help is to take more pictures...
The front of the heads as seen from the front of the engine.
The exhaust ports/headers.
Any other casting letters or numbers.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That's correct late model heads can be machined for Screw in Stud mount Rockers, that's what the fast 5.0 racers did with the stock and iron GT 40 heads! So I seriously doubt there pre- 78 versions

·
Registered
105 Posts
it's hard to tell from the pic, like other guys have said. speaking of 351, maybe the guy meant it has 351 heads? that is very possible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help guys. When i get the chance I'll get more pictures of the heads. Just hate pulling off valve covers with t-handles lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought id update this by saying that I had to pull the valve covers off the other day and found a few other castings.

found "351" and "WF" on there.

so im assuming there 351 heads or some sort?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The WF means Windsor Foundry, and obviously they're 351's. Anything else you could find? Some 351 heads are better than others, some are just as lousy as stock E7 heads. Just because they're 351's doesn't make them better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.